71’ Speedway scarab torque converter removal

Hey guys, first time posting here, ive got a good amount of small engine work under my belt. My uncle gave me a ‘71 ish speedway scarab with an hs40 on it to clean up. I pulled everything off of it and have been bringing them in to work (machine shop) to clean up. The only part is the damn last part of the torque converter so I can clean it up on the lathe. I dont want to start banging in the shaft since I dont see how it’s held on. I read somewhere about a retaining clip, but I dont see anything on mine.
thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

fistfullabar

penetration oil and time. I had the same one and bent it taking it off with a bearing puller. the tab is bent/pressed in the keyway. it is hard to find a replacement. when you get it off I would make a billet version of it if I work ed in a machine shop!!

penetration oil and time. I had the same one and bent it taking it off with a bearing puller. the tab is bent/pressed in the keyway. it is hard to find a replacement. when you get it off I would make a billet version of it if I work ed in a machine shop!!
Thanks for the reply, after alot of soaking I managed to use a prybar to get it off, the welds on the back look like stevie wonder did them so if our welder cant make it better I’ll just reverse engineer it and make a fresh one, good idea. I’m still hoping to keep this one all original so we’ll see how that works out

fistfullabar

nice! was ya hubs plastic mine were cracked and I was able to get some billet aluminum ones made. keep the o.g. parts but it would be nice some billet ones.

Looks sweet, everything I yanked off so far was metal, usually rusted and pitted. I’m definitely going to turn a new part for my torque converter at work and slap it on there. Did you remove the axle that holds the front sprocket and rear pulley? Once again I cant figure out how to get it off and I dont want to damage anything. My rear pulley is sooooo rusted, will probably have to turn two of those at work as well