'72 Moto Skeeter 650 Resto

Well today I bought a 1972 Moto Skeeter 650 mini bike for $150 under the condition that I fix it up and send a picture of it restored to the guy I bought it from. So here it goes...

This is the bike when I got it, almost all complete except for the headlight and tail light.

Now I started the tear down, but never got much done. I determined the engine has good spark, so I am going to take it off the bike, clean it up, clean the carb, and then fix the recoil since it doesn't wind back in properly. Here are some more pics...

I won't be working on it tomorrow because I will be playing slow pitch in the snow tournament, also known as snow pitch. I don't know why I am going to when I could be in a nice warm shop, but I will be back at is Sunday. :thumbsup: The plan with this project is to have it ready for a parade at my hometown's centennial celebration in August. Plus my Dad used to have a bike like this as a kid, but he got it after his 3 older brothers and it was practically shot. So I want to make this his rider. :thumbsup:

buckeye

Welcome to the spoked wheeled croud.
That is a deal on that.
Also, that engine is different????Isn't it????
Dad gets first ride.

WE'LL BE WATCHING:thumbsup:DID YOU HAVE IT RUNNING AT ALL?
No I didn't have it running, the carb and tank both need cleaning because they have sat for a while. The seller said he drove it 2 years ago because he was planning to restore it himself but then he got side tracked by other projects. It has good spark which it great because you can't find parts for these.

Welcome to the spoked wheeled croud.
That is a deal on that.
Also, that engine is different????Isn't it????
Dad gets first ride.
The engine is a BSE, made in Japan. It is a 98cc 2 stroke, supposed to make 5.5hp, or that is what the decal says any how. These Skeeters are the only bikes I have saw the BSE engines on. And ya I think it is a hell of a deal, the tires are the original ones, but not a crack or even barely any ware. It is a nice sized bike, and is comfy to sit on.

Interesting, no govenor on that engine, 5.5 hp at 5500. I like it.
outdoorguy
It's a 98cc 2 stroke so it will rev a little bit higher. The guy I bought it from said it would do 45mph with him on it and he had to be 180lbs+. Plus the torque converter will help out with the low end.

Well I was back at it this morning, and will be going back to work on it again this afternoon sometime. Here is what I did....

I dug through my parts boxes and found this peice to replace the damaged one on the muffler. I also used double 0 steel wool to remove the surface rust and polish it up and it worked great. :thumbsup: I also used it on the rim, but am not done.

Before

After

Never got lots done but I am making some progress. The motor will be coming out soon so I can get it all tuned up. :thumbsup:

Great find man. I'm still searching for parts for mine. Are you still going to build the 450? I'm interested in the cut up frame if your not.

I'll be watching this build!!

Great find man. I'm still searching for parts for mine. Are you still going to build the 450? I'm interested in the cut up frame if your not.

I'll be watching this build!!
The cut up frame I have is a 650. I talked to a guy about rings but he said that he found some for his 450 from a chainsaw. I can get more info if you would like? Also gaskets aren't availible. :thumbsup:

Ah bummer. I think I might just re-make the entire frame, and just re use the neck and plates. I'm going to see a 2 stroke guy tomorrow, I'll let you know if I get any info on gaskets.

I am slowly chipping at this project, got a little bit done tonight, here are the pictures...

I took the carb of the bike for a cleaning, and it turns out to be a Mikuni. :thumbsup:

Started tearing it down...

The manifold...

The air cleaner setup on this bike was wrecked and repaired and wrecked again so I am building a air filter adapter for on of them $10 K&N style ones from OldMiniBikes warehouse.

I haven't got much done on this bike since I built this chain guard for my DB30, hope you don't mind some pics of that too...

:thumbsup:

Well it was a good weekend working in the shop, sadly I never touched the Skeeter. I got a Comet TAV for my Baja Heat, and while I was at it I cleaned the bike up a bit and did a few other things. This week I am going to see if I can get a machine shop to make a couple pieces for my recoil so it will work right, and then hopefully get the motor out of the frame and get it running. :thumbsup:

Nice work so far Clay , better to go at it slow and do it right the time it takes is well worth it. That bike is going to look so cool when its restored to better than new .
Rob

Never got much done again this weekend, but I managed to get a few things done. Also, look what I found when I was picking.

I found another 5.5hp BSE motor, that has a perfect shroud unlike the one I already had so it will come in handy.

I broke out the Evapo-Rust to clean up the carb and some of the nuts and bolts. After using it on my Keystone build I swear by it.

Made the air filter adapter for the carb and painted it.

Took the tank off the frame and took the valve off the tank so I can clean them.

My recoil was missing 2 of those little flanges that hook onto the started cup to spin the motor over so I took the original one that I had to a Honda dealer and they gave me these ones just like it except for a little bit thicker. So I am just gonna trim them up on the grinder and they will be perfect. (the original BSE one is on the left, the new Honda one is on the right).

I am hoping to get some more done this week so I can start polishing up the chrome. Then take the frame, fender and tank to bare metal and then shoot it with paint. I am going to be buying a decent spray gun for this job. it will be my first time painting with a gun but I want to do this right, plus it never hurts to learn a new skill. :thumbsup:

Wow. :blink: This project is moving slower than molasses in January. :doah: I really need a kick in the pants to get going on this, but with skool work and having bonfires every weekend down in the valley, I never seem to get much done. Anyhoo, here is a update:

I cleaned and rebuilt the carb. What did I use? Evapo-Rust. I use Evapo-Rust for damn near everything when it comes to cleaning up parts, I swear by it.

Well I took some advice from my Grandpa and used 00 steel wool and some Coca-Cola to polish up this little bracket to make it shine. I don't know if the Coke did much, but it sure tasted good when you got thirsty. :laugh:
Before:

After:

Like I's said in my last post I found me another 5.5hp BSE engine. I got that motor unstuck and have a killer idea for a Moto-Skeeter bobber to build next winter. But the shroud was better with no dents, here they are side by side (the orange one is the dented one, and the red-ish one is the good one).

Then I commenced to cleaning my fuel valve that screws onto the tank. That thing has more parts than you would think, here it is all tore apart and cleaned, ready to go back together.

This is the recoil cover and the netting on the sides is all torn to hell, anybody have any suggestions on how to fix that?

:thumbsup: