'72 Moto Skeeter 650 Resto

hows the netting in the other motor?
I am missing the recoil all together on that motor, so I will see what happens. I think first I will remove all the damaged netting and see if I can find a match to replace it with.

Might be a bit before another update. :doah: Hoping to do some riding now that the weather is decent. Plus I might be helping a buddy's mini bikes going so we can go cruising. He has a bunch but hasn't touched them for a while so we will see. :thumbsup:

I will be making my OldMiniBikes Warehouse order asap. I need alot of stuff and it will hurt my wallet, but this bike is really important to be done. Apparently the 650 model is the rarest of the bunch. They only made the Skeeters for 1972 and 1972, with 3 models, the 450, 550, and 650. :thumbsup:

Your doing a great job so far I have used expanded metal mesh for a few projects in the past might even have a few pieces lying around
How do they fasten in to the shroud
Rob

Thanks for the compliment Rob. They look like they are tacked on or something, there are no fasteners. I have some mesh but I am not sure on the installation of the new pieces. I also have to get a different fuel valve that screws to the tank, the cork piece the was in side of it was so old it just crumbled apart. Oh well, I guess it won't be 100% original, but pretty close. I am looking forward to painting this bike, I am going to get a decent HVLP gun and some good auto paint and shoot it. I hear that the orange is almost exact to allis chamlers orange so that is good to know.

You're one wicked little mechanic.

The mesh is normally spot welded onto the housing. Difficult to do with out the right gear. Set an aec welder to the lowest setting - put a heavy block behind where you want to tack it in place and just touch it with the torch for a second.

Very nice bike:thumbsup: though

Thanks for the tip Tank :thumbsup: and thanks for the compliment. This bike will be on hold, I am doing a sort of rehash on the Keystone. :thumbsup:

:scooter: My friend picked-up a really nice 650 model all complete looks like new however it was missing the flywheel, condenser, and points ... he found a 550 model local but in ruff shape the motor needs a complete top end , rewind for the recoil, complete ignition, and parts for primary clutch ..base turns over nice, the frame needs alot of love but the frame seems straight..has the rear sprocket both tire/rims and handlebars , fuel tank,..secondary clutch ... We just found a 650 motor here in NY 10 miles from his house !! complete minus recoil .. spent 2 days on her cleaning her up , getting spark again and cleaning the carb ... as of 6pm tonight she is on the workbench running like a dream !! He would consider selling the 550 model is somebody was going to do something with it .. look for more pictures in the future !! :thumbsup:

Ya Skizoomman please post some pics. :thumbsup: I actually have 2 650 motors myself. One runs and will be on this bike, and the other will be put on a mini bobber chopper that I am planning to build. :shifty: Post some pics of his bike too. :thumbsup:

I am thinking of using POR 15 chassis paint for the frame after I strip it to bare metal, any thoughts? Also I will be buying a HVLP gun to paint it with. I am trying to keep costs down but still do it 100%, tougher than it looks.

I just did some more research and found that my Moto Skeeter is a 550, not a 650. In 1972 the 550 and the 650 shared the same frame, but the 650 was equipped with a larger 6.5hp engine, while the 550 had a 5.5hp. From a glance it looks like a 650, and since info is hard to find I thought it was a 650. :doah:

Ya, I was riding with my cousins all today. Tomorrow I will get some picture of what I have done. Not a whole lot though. Hoping to finish the Keystone tomorrow, - paint and then I can focus all my efforts on the Skeeter.

Now that you guys probably think I am the slowest and laziest guy on the OldMiniBikes, I finally got an update with pictures. :thumbsup: Here are the pictures:

I got the shroud stripped to bare metal, using my air die grinder with my 3m wheel. Still have the tank, chain guard, and torque converter cover to do.

I cleaned the super rusty exhaust flange in Evapo Rust, check out how clean it is now. Gotta love Evapo Rust. :thumbsup:

Cleaned up some of the recoil components in Evapo Rust and polished up with 00 steel wool to make em shine.

Last but not least I cleaned up the gas cap, it is cracking but where am I gonna find a replacement? :shrug: so it will do.

Hopefully I will get more done and the next update won't take so long. Sorry for the wait guys. :thumbsup:

Ya I have Buck, the way this one is going mine might take that long, and I need it done for August. :doah: I guess I just feel bad because when I have an update I have to dig a bit to find this thread.

I've kinda been MIA from OldMiniBikes for a while but I am finally back and I got some stuff done. Unlike SC, I don't out source my nut polishing :laugh: so I got all my nuts, bolts, bushings, etc. cleaned with Evapo-Rust and polished up, ready to roll. Here are the pics... :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

If anybody can point me in the right direction in disassembling and then rebuilding my shocks let me know. :thumbsup: I am not sure if they are Sebacs, how do you tell? :shrug: