8,000 plus rpm's

Well i can tell you this much , i just got my rupp together for a test run . Ok it has 51" dia wheels on 10" rims , and a 54 tooth rear sprocket . I had a 5.9 ratio on it and it would barely move off the line , although the clutch was coming in to early like 2200 . After 500' it would get up on the pipe and move and then haul asss . What size tire are you running ? With a little wheel 5.9 might work , might not . I know my next gear will be like 8.1 with a new clutch that engages at 4k but i can go up or down easy cause i have a jack shaft .

cxbra

Well i can tell you this much , i just got my rupp together for a test run . Ok it has 51" dia wheels on 10" rims , and a 54 tooth rear sprocket . I had a 5.9 ratio on it and it would barely move off the line , although the clutch was coming in to early like 2200 . After 500' it would get up on the pipe and move and then haul asss . What size tire are you running ? With a little wheel 5.9 might work , might not . I know my next gear will be like 8.1 with a new clutch that engages at 4k but i can go up or down easy cause i have a jack shaft .
8:1 with a 4000rpm engagement, good luck keeping that baby on the ground! :eek::scooter::thumbsup:

Gear ratio is determined by the rpm in the lights. If you want to turn 8000 and your trap speed will be 60mph for example, then do the math. The higher the speed, the higher the gear, the lower the speed, the lower the gear. But you need the torque to pull a higher gear.

If your not getting 8000 in the 1/8th mile, that is different than not being able to get to 8000 at all. If you run it past the 1/8th and don't get out of it, does it still climb or does it nose over?

Oh, and a black mamba should run more spring pressure, especially with the 1.3 rockers. The 26# will bind I do believe so you have to go to dual springs. Stock size valves and only a 22mm carb will limit you but the engine should certainly be capable of 8000rpm.

What is your current ET and trap speed and the rpm your going through the lights at?
ET is determined by chassis/gearing, mph is determined by HP.

So,
you run a 9.00 at 55mph, you have an awesome setup and all the power is going to the ground. (but your low on power)
You run 12.50 at 78mph you have a lot of power but it's not getting to the ground. Maybe too much rear gear, clutch rpm too low, clutch slippage, etc.

Ideally, your et and mph should be close to what others are running. In other words, your running a 11.50 at 60mph, others running 11.50's should be around 60mph too.

vwfan79

Edric check out my "drag bug" thread in the project logs. I was running 10.8s @ 62 this weekend spinning just over 8000 right at the 1/8. Going to try a different clutch and larger rear tire to see what that'll do for me but should be able to get the speeds up and times down a bit.