9/11 - Where were you?

DZLBIKE

I was working for Raytheon aircraft in Wichita, Kansas. I had just entered the flight test building and they were in the process of calling aircraft back in an effort to get everything out of the sky. The radio chatter was amazing, the pilots thought it was either a joke or a drill. The incoming news was sporatic, mostly from people talking to their families over the phone. The following days were surreal, no aircraft flying in a city full of aircraft manufacturers.

At home seeing and not believing how this could be happing. I had the chance to go up into the towers back in 1994 after the first bombing but by-past it to see another sight.
The anger was ramped up so fast when the events of the day unfolded and off site comprehension of the severity of the attacks impact could never compare to seeing it in your face and effecting your entire life like the people of New York. Pearl Harbor all over again.

Steve:scooter:

I was in college working on my undergrad degree. I remember getting ready for class and watching the stupid movie, “Weekend at Bernie’s II” (no news break-in on the channel I guess I was watching) and then my buddy called me saying planes are crashing into buildings. His description he was telling me painted the picture of WWIII starting (I think he is a conspiracy theorist so I did not believe him fully) so I turned on the radio and the preliminary reports confirmed planes are crashing into buildings like he said. When I got to class and asked around, no-one heard anything about it. Of course, right after that, I learned more, saw gas prices go up instantly, and then watched as buildings fell later on TV.

Later that semester, one of my professors mentioned that he sitting where we were as a student back in the 60’s when Kennedy was shot to describe another moment in time to never forget.

Being former military, a proud American, and because of that day; my flag has always been flying ever since I bought a house to fly it in front of.

At St. Paul's Episcopal Church food pantry in Paterson, New Jersey. We showed up to bag groceries for the needy and no one was inside (which was rare for this place). Thats when we saw the TV. We drove to a hill to look at the NYC skyline, and both towers had already fallen.

Literally!!!

Moving a huge house down the middle of the road.. :mellow:

Working for Mudder Bob doing cable construction (Lineman) like hanging cable and fiber optic trunk. Or rip it down replace, swap poles, whatever is needing done..

WELL they are building this 80 billion acre train parking lot :facepalm: in Poterville / Lansing area..

SO in the steps these dudes.. Heres what we say your house is worth.. buy another or do somethin bud.. :thumbdown:

SO quite a few people said :censure: it, I'm moving HOUSE AND ALL!! :facepalm:

SO we had the duty of like unhooking the cable or llifting it up with sticks or truck or whatever ... making room for the house coming down the road... A LOT of drops (line to your house) is hanging WAY low of clearing A BIG ASS HOUSE so Bob would just shoot up the pole and whip out his dykes and chop it to come back and fix later... :shrug:

So heres Bob up a pole, chop, run down, jump in the truck, shoot down to the next one, JUMPS OUT, off to the next one, and here on the OTHER side of the road, is this older guy

MAD AS :censure: !!

WHAT THE :censure: ARE YOU DOING YOU DUMB MOTHER :censure: DON"T YOU KNOW WHATS GOING ON ???!!!!!!! :cursing:

SO Bob, not to be outdone says..

YEAH!!! THERES A GREAT BIG :censure:ING HOUSE COMING DOWN THE ROAD!!! :angry:

I then proceed to fall on the ground rolling.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then a little later when we caught it on the truck radio we figured out what was going on.. :mellow:

and thats how I choose to remember the day.. Bob and that guy screaming at each other over a mansion playing motor home.. :mellow:

Last edited:
Moving a huge house down the middle of the road.. :mellow:

Working for Mudder Bob doing cable construction (Lineman) like hanging cable and fiber optic trunk. Or rip it down replace, swap poles, whatever is needing done..
That explains why you're so crazy, it's the cable dog in ya:laugh:
I just worked on a House move a couple of weeks ago, only now we have to do that crap at night. I tried to get some better pics but I was too busy working and dealing with all the drunk college kids. Yeah, lets move a house right downtown at bar time:doah:

Anyway back on topic....
I was on my hooks in some backyard easement hanging trunk and feeder cable in Buffalo, NY and the guy I was working with, his wife calls me on the cell and is crying and talking about how NY is under attack, planes crashing and so on. It was hard to believe her, and then a homeowner came outside and told us what was going on. So we packed up our equipment and went back to our shop and watched the horror unfold on TV. A lot of things changed that day......

oldfatguy

I was working bending up duct work in a shop in north jersey, we had guys on a job site in Bayonne NJ that could see the twin towers. They actually saw the second plane hit and called to tell us about it. I have worked in the world trade center towers many times doing construction and have been all through the buildings from the lower parking garages to the upper floors. There are some people that refuse to believe that fire brought those towers down [kooky judy wood] they think that a directed energy beam turned the towers to dust. But they are wrong, it was a flaw in the design of the towers that caused them to fail like they did.

I was just home surfing the net and listening to the radio then I heard about something happening and turned on the Tv and watched the second plane hit the other tower.

I was working the afternoon shift then at the other job and remember how the weather right around that time had been picture perfect then all the carnage.

I remember sitting there so angry.

I had quit my job a few weeks before that and was in bed asleep when my wife called and told me I should turn on the tv! I watched Dan Rather all day in disbelieve:doah:

jrzmac

I was home. It was a Tuesday, my day off for the last 25 years. we just dropped our sone off at kindergarten for like his 2nd day. the weather was beautiful. mid 70's, not a cloud in the sky. when we got home my wife was eating breakfast and watching T.V. then told me to hurry and put the tv on that a plane crashed into one of the towers. in the beginning everyone thought it was an accident. she went to work, and I stayed home watching the tv. when I saw the 2nd plane hit the other tower, I knew at that instant we were under attack! my father was up on the 2nd floor of his 3 family. my oldest sister lived on the 3rd floor but, everyone else in the house was either in school or at work. I ran upstairs and told my father to put on the t.v. because we were under attack. he had no idea. being so close to NYC in north Jersey, we were really worried about what would happen next. then the pentagon got hit and then all hell broke loose. the phones were ringing off the hook. my sister were all crying freaking out.... my wife came home early and I think we went to pick our boy up early from the school.. the weirdest thing about that day, and the next few days, was that there were no planes in the air, anywhere, growing up around Newark airport all my life, I guess I got used to the planes flying over the house every 2 minutes. then there was nothing for like 3 days, it was creepy! I definitely think watching that all unfold in front of the t.v. that day, threw my into some kind of post traumatic stress thing for some time. I wasn't the same for a while after that day, as I'm sure a lot of others who watched it going on probly felt the same way I did.....

I was on the 3rd floor of the research center in the Bayway Refinery...on the top floor is the cafeteria with a glass front that offers a spectacular view of the NY skyline especially on a clear day like that. The refinery is no more than 3 or 4 miles from Newark airport . Somebody came down and said "a plane just hit the World Trade Center"...I figured some idiot in a sightseeing plane flew a Cessna or a Piper Cub into it by accident...so I waited a while and then took the elevator upstairs to see what all the commotion was...there was already a few dozen people up there pressed against the windows as you could very clearly see the smoke billowing out of one tower and all at once they let out a yell like "NOOO!!"..... scared the hell out of me my hair still stands up when I think of that moment as the 2nd plane hit....we all just stared in disbelief as we realized what was actually happening, it was like watching a silent movie...people were just covering their mouths and whispering "oh my God ,oh my God....then we saw the eruption as they fell one by one....after a while the smoke started to clear and there was just sky where the buildings used to be....it was really hard to comprehend what we were looking at. I had slim hopes that they had somehow gotten the people out , but the pit in my stomach told me there must be thousands dead...it just all happened too fast to get everybody out. When the reports got out that there were other planes crashing and some still unaccounted for I decided to get the hell out of that refinery and go pick my kids up out of school and go home.
The more I watched on TV over the next couple days, the "scared numb" feeling wore off and the furious anger really started to set in.
I guess that's why they don't leave people like me in charge because I would have started pressing buttons and wiping some places right off the face of the friggin earth....worry about the consequences later.....

Last edited: