abrasive attachment for a pressure washer

I see over Northern Tool they got an attachment lets you use a sand media with your PW, anyone tried one of these and had any luck??? I love that baking soda link who'd a thought??? but the same principle is use on a sand attachment on a PW, anybody use one yet???? thnks red423

Saw this thread a while ago and bought one from northern tools. Sat in the box for quite a while till today when I used it to blast a old rupp roadster frame. Worked awesome with lots less mess than the pressure pot blaster. I did not have to suit up and strain my air compressor. Just put on goggles and went at it cleaned it off just great although you do get a slight brown tint of rust from the water. There is still some cleanup but nowhere the mess of the pressure blaster and if I do it over the lawn the only cleanup would have been me. One issue I had was the hose attachment to the nozzle was pointing down and when you shut the water off releasing the trigger a few drops of water fall into the hose and it starts clogging until enough dry media goes thru to dry it. Next time I will point it up and that will eliminate the issue. Thanks for mentioning this as I really like this unit.

also read where you can still use the pressure pot with the attachment and add 10-15# of air to pressure pot and it feeds media better than depending on the syphon feed.
I guess I will have to go and buy one now that we have a real world review.:thumbsup:

I used the finer grit black beauty and it went thru the bag pretty quick. only issue with it was I had the abrasive feed tube (where the hose attaches to the nozzletube) pointing downward. When I let go of the trigger a drop or two of water would get into there and now with wet media it would clog and take a bit of shaking to clear and start feeding. the fix is to make sure the tube is pointing upwards.

Any guess on how much (lbs.) of media it would take to blast a typical mini bike, frame, swing arm, and forks ? I'm guessing the used media is not recoverable and useable (?).

You are correct not reusable. I used a bag of black beauty to blast a rupp roadster 2 frame and a swingarm. not a whole lot left. If the forks had to be done may take a little over a bag. This was the first time using it and it was loaded with paint, worked much better than my pressure pot blaster from the standpoint that I did not have to suit up and did not spread a cloud of dust all over creation. If you do It on a garbage pail over the lawn (the way I did it ) there is no cleanup. Just have to keep the frame from blowing off. I used it with a 2.5 GPM 2800 LB blaster.

ole4, thank you very much for the useful information. It sounds like using this is a lot better, easier, and quicker than using paint stripper and a power washer.