Aftermarket Flywheel?

SO ill be doing the basic mods to my clone.

Timing.
390 carb
160 Head (ported)
rockers and springs
remove govoner
sparkplug indexing
custom exhaust.
Cam (dunno if needed)(what one)

My question is how Important is a aftermarket flywheel.
how are the steel ones? I dont wanna brake bank.

Some one jump in and stop me if I'm to far out. The taper on the 212 is smaller than the 160s and 200s so you can't machine the flywheel down to the predator crank so why can't someone come up with a bushing for say $5 or so? look at all the PVLs you could sell not to mention the billit steel take offs and such. I wouldn't think it would be that hard with a cnc mill or what ever. If anyone picks up on this I'll take the first 3 for my input:laugh::laugh:

rmm727

Some one jump in and stop me if I'm to far out. The taper on the 212 is smaller than the 160s and 200s so you can't machine the flywheel down to the predator crank so why can't someone come up with a bushing for say $5 or so? look at all the PVLs you could sell not to mention the billit steel take offs and such. I wouldn't think it would be that hard with a cnc mill or what ever. If anyone picks up on this I'll take the first 3 for my input:laugh::laugh:
You could very well do that. Cost and time would probably make it the same as buying a correct fitting flywheel to begin with. With that said, I am going to have a Predator crank turned to match the clone/gx taper.

SO ill be doing the basic mods to my clone.

Timing.
390 carb
160 Head (ported)
rockers and springs
remove govoner
sparkplug indexing
custom exhaust.
Cam (dunno if needed)(what one)

My question is how Important is a aftermarket flywheel.
how are the steel ones? I dont wanna brake bank.
I do not see "replace stock rod with (high performance/high rev) billet rod" in your list- How much rpm do you estimate you will be turning?:shrug:
Michael

I thought the 212 crank was smaller than the clone taper? If it was bigger you could ream the flywheel to match the taper but its already too big, or am I having another senior moment??

I installed a GXV on a predator before we knew. I just removed it last month. It looked as the wheel was rocking on the shaft. The widest part never made contact. You might be able to lap and make it contact better. I never lap my aluminum wheels. It could be a option if no other wheel was avail but ARC and Raceseng addressed the problem and you have a choice. My 2 cents.