aftermarket parts for old Briggs?

I just got back from my local Briggs parts supplier. Im suffering from sticker shock. While I was happy to actually find a knowledgeable parts man, he wasn't able to help much. He told me that briggs n stratton was trying to phase out the old flat heads, discontinuing many parts and over pricing others. $48 for a breather, $65 for a piston, $38 for a carb kit. Really!? Very discouraging.
I'm dealing with 6, 7, and 8hp big blocks, does anyone have a good source for aftermarket parts?

I just got back from my local Briggs parts supplier. Im suffering from sticker shock. While I was happy to actually find a knowledgeable parts man, he wasn't able to help much. He told me that briggs n stratton was trying to phase out the old flat heads, discontinuing many parts and over pricing others. $48 for a breather, $65 for a piston, $38 for a carb kit. Really!? Very discouraging.
I'm dealing with 6, 7, and 8hp big blocks, does anyone have a good source for aftermarket parts?
Tim,
At the prices you are quoting, you are getting SCREWED by your "local Briggs parts supplier"! There are LOADS of Briggs "flat head" OEM parts available online! If you know your Briggs part # perform a search on EBay and you will be amazed how much is out there. (If you do not know the part # go to Partstree.com and enter the model # of your engine) A word of advice if you want OEM parts- look for ads that describe the part as "OEM" or "NOS" and have the part shown next to the original packaging. In addition, don't be shy about asking the seller questions before you buy (we do all the time). If they do not reply or are vague with the answer we move on to another seller. Personally, I avoid the "aftermarket" equivalents, and always buy OEM as the few times I tried that I was not very pleased.
Michael
Sidebar: Here is another good source for parts: www.endrows.net
He does not have everything, but he has a lot. His prices are VERY good, quick shipping, and a pleasure to deal with.

Last edited:
You are welcome Tim.:thumbsup:
While I certainly prefer being able to walk in to a "brick and mortar" store and look at (first) and (then) purchase all of my small engine parts, for the most part those days are long gone (although I am easily old enough to remember those days!). Other than the most basic replacement parts, most everything is an "order item" now. (Just look at minibike and go-kart parts!) Take a good look at EBay and especially the Endrows site I provided you- I bet you can find everything you need at reasonable prices.
Michael

Last edited:
Tim,
At the prices you are quoting, you are getting SCREWED by your "local Briggs parts supplier"!
I attempted to get some work done on an old Tecumseh by my local (the only local) small engine shop. Nice enough owner, but he really wanted me to buy a new OHV Briggs for my vintage bikes, and didn't seem to know, or care to know how to work on that old Tec.

Four months later, I flipped him 30 bucks for his time, took the motor home and did the work myself. So much for brick and mortar stores. They're just an extension of the factories, and are in the business of selling new engines, not providing a service.

All my needs are better met on line.