AGK Bolt on Kit

Hey guys,

I searched around and cant get a straight answer on the gains that Bolt-On Kit 1 from AGK gives you. The kit includes an air filter + adapter, a header pipe, and a #90 jet. I currently have a 6.5 clone running 93 octane fuel, 10-30w synthetic and have a "racing spark plug". Those three things helped already. Governor gear left in but bypassed for warranty purposes however. I currently run 42mph with 12/60 gearing.

I now want to put on the bolt on kit and let this baby breathe, how much gain will i see? does wheelies already with a little help. I hit 42mph, will that go up alot? how much? does it idle and start perfectly?

I know these are a pretty general and stupid questions, but i want someone who has done this to detail it for me, would be much appreciated before i order it. Im sure this could help others too considering doing the same thing.

THANKS SO MUCH.

You may want to look into the 140 e tube also better low end cheap way to get some power if ur gonna get a bigger jet :thumbsup: but very good question

bypassing the governor and leaving the internal parts in is not a good idea. they can come apart and then you'll have pieces floating around inside your engine. it happened to one of my engines back in the day but luckily nothing bad happened (had barely been ridden that way).

if you plan on modding the engine (ie: removing the gov), start out with a billet rod and flywheel. they're lighter and are a safety item.

your stop speed most likely won't go up much (if at all) with those mods. what kind of rpms are you running now? top speed is all about rpms and gearing.

bypassing the governor and leaving the internal parts in is not a good idea. they can come apart and then you'll have pieces floating around inside your engine. it happened to one of my engines back in the day but luckily nothing bad happened (had barely been ridden that way).

if you plan on modding the engine (ie: removing the gov), start out with a billet rod and flywheel. they're lighter and are a safety item.

your stop speed most likely won't go up much (if at all) with those mods. what kind of rpms are you running now? top speed is all about rpms and gearing.
No idea what kind of RPM's i am running. Just hooked the throttle directly up to the butterfly valve. Instead of messing with that cluster of a stock linkage. Never had a problem and i check it weekly to make sure its not going to come undone and screw up on me. I might remove the governor and install the 18lb springs that come with the kit. but a billet rod and flywheel= $$$. UGH. lol. i dont full throttle much at all anyway.

you might see a 1hp gain IF that. Unless you take the governor off and install the billet flywheel and rod you wont get much more than that.

with no governor, billet flywheel and rod, #90-92 jet, header, open air filter, and 18# springs, you would probably see about 9HP. That doesnt sound like a lot, but it quite impressive to feel the difference when you have been riding a governed engine.

Stupid question, but i am new with most of this stuff. Does hooking up the throttle directly to the carb's butterfly valve bypass the governor? or am i still governed to 3600 rpm or so?

thanks mmisterbungl, i am happy with another horsepower. being 125lbs has its perks. :scooter:

but a billet rod and flywheel= $$$. UGH. lol.
they're probably cheaper than the hospital bill could be if one of them (mainly the flywheel) lets go. you don't have to be going full throttle for this to happen either. the stock pieces are designed to run at 3600rpm so anything over that is questionable with them. i like clones but i don't trust those parts on them at all.

they're probably cheaper than the hospital bill could be if one of them (mainly the flywheel) lets go. you don't have to be going full throttle for this to happen either. the stock pieces are designed to run at 3600rpm so anything over that is questionable with them. i like clones but i don't trust those parts on them at all.
I understand what your saying. I use common sense, sadly i usually cruise around 20-25mph (which is around 3300rpm). The only time i rev up, is when a bicyclist or young kid gives me a smile or a look. Hitting around 5000 then pushing upper 30's.. I know you will still warn me, but im young and taking chances is what we do. Also, i read a few people who raced ungoverned stock motors at 5700rpm and never had a problem. Also read that they have been tested up to around 9000 rpm then blew. If it does happen, ill be sorry. But i dont ride enough, anyway. like 1.5hrs a week.

But, you have opened my eyes a bit. Ill stick with my stock set up and wont be adding the bolt-on kit. That might be too much power for the stock flywheel, rod and springs. In the future, i will change out flywheel, and rod before adding the bolt-on kit. I'm fine with what i have now, thanks to all for clarification and power gains.