Allen metal lathe posting

Trying to find pictures and posters site for this lathe. I believe part of his name was Fatguy, sorry if it's wrong, I got diverted by a bad keystroke and couldn't find it again. He said they were built in the 20's by Allen Electric and Machine in Kallamazzo Michigan. I have the exact same one and would like to get info on how it operates. Very few on the internet. I will post pic when I figure how. new lathe 001.JPG

Man that thing is old, looks like it came over on the Mayflower! It appears the carriage is always engaged with the lead/feed screw. No hand wheel on the apron either, you feed it from that handle on the right end. It also looks like it has some kind of power feed coming off the back of the spindle...the knob on the left end of the screw must somehow engage and disengage it. Has a lantern/rocker style tool post which can still be found in use today although it is also considered a relic of the past.
Most lathes of this era were driven from a drive shaft from above..normally with a flat belt, the same shaft being shared by other equipment in the shop. This one has a V-belt drive...probably so it could be used with a bench mounted motor. It looks like the pulley is almost touching the casting and it only has two grooves (the same size?) which is odd so I'm sure this was added later. There probably used to be a pulley on there with 3 or 4 steps.

Looks like a pretty big swing for a small lathe. Would be a kick to play with it and try and bring it back to life. You would probably need some kind of variable speed motor or an intermediate pulley setup (think jackshaft!) in order to add speed selection and make it more versatile.

I like old machinery like that...post up more pics when you get it running and making chips.

Last edited:
That UK website that Old Fat Guy linked to may even have copies of the lathe's manual that they would sell. That site is about the best "encyclopedia" of US and UK made lathes you can find on the 'net.

Last edited:
That UK website that Old Fat Guy linked to may even have copies of the lathe's manual that they would sell. That site is about the best "encyclopedia" of US and UK made lathes you can find on the 'net.
Yes, it is. I've been using that site as a reference source for over ten years.
It's been a huge help to me.