Animal vs. Predator

I have a new 69730 Predator 212 on the bench. I have read youngengine's "Predator Build Up Details" thread and have priced out the project to about
$560 plus machining.This engine will produce 17.75hp@6700 rpm.Excellent read by the way. My question is what will it cost me to build an Animal to make the same amount of power and what mods will get it there? The $500 price tag for the engine will be worth it due to the quality you are getting out of the box.
For a few dollars more... which is the better option?

Neck

Growing up is optional
What are your intensions for this 17.562 HP beast? And would you consider an World Formula, which is a true open class racing engine to start with?

Last edited:

trinik7597

i was wondering the same thing i know lcs just got done doing a predator and is well over a grand that is the price of the wf briggs also what about tuning up an intec 206 same platform no ? what would be best least expensive way to go ?

No seriously, I saw one of those Nitro 44 mini dragbikes and thought why not build one with a chromoly frame and a hot rod engine. Just a fun project.
I bought the Predator for $99 but once I got it apart I started thinking should I throw money at an offshore engine or go with something a little better. The question is how much extra will I have to spend on the Briggs to get the same result? Would modifying an Animal cost less than a World Formula? And as far as I know a WF makes 15hp, how much for 3 more?

Last edited:

Neck

Growing up is optional
A WF has a more efficient cylinder head design, and yes you can make more power on methanol with a bump in compression and more spark lead.

The Predator $99+ $600=$700 all in, or I have seen the WF for $979 with header,carb.,filter,clutch.We're talking 200 bucks. Something to think about.

Starting to look like a no-brainer. The Pred. weighs 37 lbs, what does the WF weigh in at.The hp I quoted was gas. Youngengine did both. Got into the low 20`s

Last edited:
i was wondering the same thing i know lcs just got done doing a predator and is well over a grand that is the price of the wf briggs also what about tuning up an intec 206 same platform no ? what would be best least expensive way to go ?
not well over, right around a grand.. could have saved a few bucks here and there too... but after todays failed test run... i am def liking the motor! :laugh: i have an animal to try out on the wifes kart and a predator that is less modded (under 500)... i will let you know how they compare to each other once i get the animal on the kart...

as far as the predator in my build thread, i would def do that again, rather than buying a WF... just based on what is going on with it thus far... just for giggles, because, i do not care about the hp numbers, I will find a dyno somewhere and have the motor dyno'd just to see where it is at for the mods done... it feels and sounds healthy though... but is closer to the $1000 range (with you doing your own labor)... you could also save yourself around $200 doing your own head and $60 if you use the cut to fit push rods, instead of the adjustables like i did...

Here`s another spin on it. You can buy an Animal for $495, and a stroker kit for $329.
Is this a better bang for the buck.

Last edited:
L.M. Build

A little more research:

Animal 2 $475
RLV pipe $39.95
5 degree key $1.00
Dyno 308 cam $95.00
ARC dual valve springs$24.99
WF lifters $20.40
ARC 6249 rod $59.95
Bearings$20.00
Tillotson HL-304WX carb. $110.00
Till. linkage $10.95
filter adapter $12.95
filter$9.00

$869.19

Last edited:
A little more research:

Animal 2 $475
RLV pipe $39.95
Pump Walbro $17.50
5 degree key $1.00
Dyno 308 cam $95.00
ARC dual valve springs$24.99
WF lifters $20.40
ARC 6249 rod $59.95
Bearings$20.00
Tillitson carb$150.00
Till. linkage $10.95
filter adapter $12.95
filter$9.00

$926.69
if you do about the same mods as above on the predator, you would come out couple hundred less than what i spent... thus a couple hundred less than that... what ive did with the motor and the prices i paid are over in my hemi thread... you can see the extra money and where it went... i am going to be doing something with an animal soon too... and another hemi build with a twist to it... but for the money, i would still run a hemi predator... if you could do you own head, this is what your build would look like...

i edited out the other stuff i bought, not similar to your mods above... i may have missed something, but i dont think so... my build was a little different than this...

-Harbor Freight Engine 60363, Predator 212cc, Hemi-Headed Version $97
-ARC 6626 Billet Kohler CH270/New Predator Flywheel $100
-ARC Billet Rod (stock for you) $83.95
- DJ-1146-P ARC Top Plate/Throttle Station (For Hemi-Head) $25
-Walbro FPC1-1 Fuel Pump (New Style, good up to 25hp) $17.50
-Autolite Spark Plug AR3910X, $7
-Misc (Shipping) $9
- Black Mamba Cam, 26 lb springs, FHS racing oil $82.85 (with tax and shipping)

-6878 ARC Carb. Adapter GX390 to Predator $18
-DJ-1345 BSP Carb Stud (to replace short stud) $1.55
-6929 ARC GX340/390 Air Filter Adapter $9
-GXC-413-00 (3/16") Push Rods Cut to Length $20.68
-shipping $8.13
-totaling $74.36 shipped

-Genuine Honda GX390, GAS, race prepped (but choke installed), stock bore, $49
-aluminum choke holder $2.50
-shipping $18
-K&N breather 62-1600RD(for now,may get a catch can too if needed), $6.97
-Russel Billet Fuel Filter, black, p/n 645090, $13.97

-genuine honda coil $30
-shipping $9.95

GrandTotal: $592.05 shipped
would be less cause shipping would be lower, without all the extra stuff too

I would say, if you have the time and skills or want to learn, probably more fun to build a clone. Myself personally, I would buy a World Formula, but that's just me.

I have all 3 engines, 6.5 clone, Animal, and World Formula engines. The Animal and World Formula are great engines, I run them stock. I run the clone box stock with cl1 cam, billet flywheel, approx 27cc head, etc, I am guessing it makes approx 9hp. It's a fun engine too, I like it a lot.

I run the World Formula without starter, you don't need it, very easy to start, simple is better. :thumbsup: