any more free mods for honda clone

i tore it apart made sure it was in good conditiond put it back together removed govener and low oil sensor ported and polished the head set valve lash at 3 intake 3 exhaust just for break in and had to make a rig up a aftermarket air filter off my atv because it would not run right with stock but im just wonderin about anymore free upgrades im about to make an exahaust and drill my main jet also:grind::hammer::shrug::confused:

clonebuilder,
Can you explain (in detail) how you "ported and polished the head set"? What tools did you use?
Thank you,
Michael

i used my dremel and a sanding barrel and with it being aluminum it really came out well and it screams:grind::scooter::thumbsup:
Realy screams eh?

There isn't much you can do to make these heads any worse.
But porting alone is not going to make a significant improvement.
Cencentrate on the short radious and around smooththe bowl around that guide. THATS IT.....
More will just mess up things and hurt you.

The stock airbox, and the phenolic base behind the carb and extremely retrictive.

The stock exhaust is best discribed as trying to eat when your constipated.

These things alone adressed will make a far more significant improvement than anything you can feel from porting alone.

As far as valve sprongs are concerned.
I can't comment on what you are using and if its a good fit or not.
BUT Honda G200 springs ARE the yellow 18 pound springs and as long as you don't exceed .275 lift they are the easiest way to raise the RPM range of the engine.

IF you don't replace the stock retainers, keepers and valves then inspect them regularly.
They don't last and will fail.
All your work will be wasted when the engine grenades after you drop a valve

yea i geus i shoulda mentin the slitly modified air filter assembly and the exhaust with tons of holes in it and wen i said scream i was sorda refering to this be a new motor and the difference besides the old worn out one :bowdown:

I think he knows that by know but its a little late to lecture him.

Honestly I give up.

People do not read, they think they know better and are forced to blow up a few engines before they listen

I was not better, the difference is I had kart racing under my belt from 20 years earlier and knew what I was likely going to face.

The learning curve is steep, what concerns me the most is today its so cheap to build a grenade any kid can do it. In 1985 just a Honda OEM rod was 100 bucks so you didn't dare throw a rod because you could not afford the parts.

buckeye

Newoldstock, I don't know crap about building a engine. I have tried to read all I can. Folks just don't get it. All jacked up on Moutain Dew and a few pennies in their pocket and off to the store I go. Get a third of whats needed and wonder later why their engine runs like crap. Piece of crap chinese junk.
Too much jumping into stuff,wheather it be mini's cars,hell wives. Not enough research and a lot of failure.
Slow down, do some research and listen to those who offer experienced opinions. Then figure out what is needed to get ya where ya want to go instead of getting there half way, real fast.And Never get where ya want to go.

I hear ya gents, it drives me bananas when guy's say what jet should they use. We know the answer is the one that will give the engine the 14.7 to 1 air to fuel ratio. But the reply is usually they jumped on a 90 or a 92. Oh well, I beleive there are lurkers out there who really read and benefit from the postings. I know I do.

Newoldstock, I don't know crap about building a engine. I have tried to read all I can. Folks just don't get it. All jacked up on Moutain Dew and a few pennies in their pocket and off to the store I go. Get a third of whats needed and wonder later why their engine runs like crap. Piece of crap chinese junk.
Too much jumping into stuff,wheather it be mini's cars,hell wives. Not enough research and a lot of failure.
Slow down, do some research and listen to those who offer experienced opinions. Then figure out what is needed to get ya where ya want to go instead of getting there half way, real fast.And Never get where ya want to go.
I can't wait for summer buckeye.

But in light of many of the new people in our cirlce of racing up here who ask and do so many dum things....
I think I should pettition for a rule change.
Every racer gets a rubber suction cup gun with a dart that says dum ass.
If the race official sees more than 3 darts on a bike, he's DQed for the weekend lol

Last edited:
I hear ya gents, it drives me bananas when guy's say what jet should they use. We know the answer is the one that will give the engine the 14.7 to 1 air to fuel ratio. But the reply is usually they jumped on a 90 or a 92. Oh well, I beleive there are lurkers out there who really read and benefit from the postings. I know I do.
All they want is answers or better yet a short cut,they will never understand the why or how it works. Some of the guys I ride with can't understand why they keep throwing money at their mini bike and I still beat them, I just say to them "pay attention to the details,learn how it all works so you will know what to modify".

buckeye

And I thank you guys for your input. Cause I sure would have started doing stuff and not do what was needed first. Saves a lot of time and money.

I would enjoy the oppertunity to get a little of the gray power around here to come up to the nickel city for a run.

I find I much prefer to talk minibikes, race minibikes, work on minibikes and ride them with people my own age.

I guess its the way we grew up.
Try and tell kids the way it was back when we were young however and they don't believe you.

AT LAST THE 1948 SHOW - Brooke-Taylor, Chapman, Cleese, Feldman - Four Yorkshiremen - YouTube
The youngsters that listen are ok and in fact fun to be around. But, yeah it's always nice to hang out with peers for sure. Makes for easier conversation as the level of understanding and points of reference are more closely aligned.

Take away the champagne, insert a couple of dogs and the video looks like my patio on any given night....

Matter of fact, think I'll go out and smoke one right now!

Nice video! Replace that champagne with a bottle of jack Daniels make those white jackets camouflage add some old Cajun music in the back ground and it would look like my grandparents house on a Sunday morning after church with my uncles Drinkin and smokin and cuttin up while the crawfish are boilin! Good times...

I was thinking. Why doesn't someone make a list of things you can do to an engine for maximum power gains with a short explanation of why it is better to do it that way. Yes it could be a waste of time for the ignorant who choose not to listen but it will boned it those who do listen like me! I've been having my clone for about 3 weeks now never ran it cause I'm waiting till I can afford the billet flywheel and rod. Everyday I'm just itching to ride but I know it's safer to wait! :thumbsup:

^ Why doesn't somebody write a "How To" book on engine modifications? Well they have and many times as well as short tech articles.

Somebody posted a link (I believe on this site) to Two Stroke Tuners Handbook which is a good one - I have owned a copy for ~35 years. Another dandy was given to me in the late 60's. Published by Clymer. It's called "Speed and How to Obtain it" and it covers 4 strokes primarily. Speed and How to Obtain it was published first in the 1930's as I recall and is a one stop shop for it all.

An important part of performance modifications, beyond the changes made is fitting the parts together. That is an art and is something that is learned over years of experience. Then comes the actual tuning itself and adjustments/changes, gearing, etc. Integraton of engine and chassis. Which is also an art.

Last edited:
Wasn't suggesting a book as it was stated that some people don't want to take the time to read. It was just an idea that popped into my head as I was typing. Lol. My brain farts a lot! :doah: