Anyone else mess with these?

Oldsalt

thats cool. so it would be legal if it was under 50cc? I heard along time ago you need registration but no insurance. or maby it was the other way around. in any case i have an old moped engine would be perfect for somthing like that
I'm not sure of all the state laws that apply to a motorized bicycle other than it can't be more than 50cc, 49cc in the excessively anal retentive states. Have a license to operate a motorcycle but don't have insurance on it and it's not registured with anyone but OldMiniBikes. I'm sure I'll get a full run-down went a local law enforcement official gets really bored and decides to pull me over. I'm sure as hell not going to wear one of them stupid bicycle "helmets". Casual observation of them bicycle dudes wearing their tight "Lycra" shorts and silly streamlined hats made me determined not to in any manner be identified with that.

Did put a bicycle headlight and tail light on it because it seems the thing to do for night riding unless a guy has a death wish. Went to my favorite watering hole last night and even made it home in the dark without incident.

I was thinking an interal shifted hub like the old schwinn 3 speed would be slick for one of theses motor setups (no derailer to deal with) I think schwinn still makes one in fact. It was either schwinn or specialized who has made a five speed one I saw on a bike not to long ago. anywhoo:hammer::weld::thumbsup::scooter::doah:

Oldsalt

I was thinking an interal shifted hub like the old schwinn 3 speed would be slick for one of theses motor setups (no derailer to deal with) I think schwinn still makes one in fact. It was either schwinn or specialized who has made a five speed one I saw on a bike not to long ago. anywhoo:hammer::weld::thumbsup::scooter::doah:
I'm thinking a two speed jackshaft might be the way to go. The motor has a hand operated in-or-out clutch. I really believe the top speed,which is easily 25 MPH, is fast enough. But a lower gear for starting out from a dead start would be a great help.

hey oldsalt,now that you've had the bike for awhile,hows it doin?Do you think its still a good buy?I'm going to buy one but I just like to have your opinion first before I decide.

Oldsalt

I was goin to pick one up pretty soon. there is actually a website just like OldMiniBikes but dedicated to motorized bikes and the such. One more thing, there is a site which sells much better quality motor kits. the guy inspects each one himself, but it costs a little bit more. heres the site: Home of the CH bicycle engine, CH80 Bicycle Engine Kits by Chris Hill, Motorized Bicycles, Bike Engine, Bike Motor, Bicycle Motor kit
I would also step-up for the extra money to have better quality! The worst part with the kit I bought was the henhouse straps that were suppose to clamp the engine to the frame. Had to make some alumininum blocks to get an engine rigidly mounted in the frame. But I am not complaining because I expected there to be inadaquate parts. The engine is fine if the poor muffler mount is corrected.

Oldsalt

hey oldsalt,now that you've had the bike for awhile,hows it doin?Do you think its still a good buy?I'm going to buy one but I just like to have your opinion first before I decide.
The motor still fires easily and runs without incident. The engine ran VERY rich as received from the factory. So rich that the little 2-stroke would only run in a "4-stroke" mode at full throttle. After about 20 miles of use I completely gutted the muffler. The damned thing was completely full of stupid tubes and baffles so that the exhaust gasses has to make a double pass down the length! The gutted muffler of course made for better "schavaging" and thereby runs "not-quite-so-rich" at full throttle. I am going to solder up the tiny carb jet and redrill with a slightly smaller size. But that's not really a necessity unless someone else in town gets one and we have to race. It's no longer sloppy rich.

The only thing mechanical that lately showed up to be marginal is the little clamp that holds the chain tention roller. It would not stay put and would allow the chain to get slack. I put a tiny tack weld on the bracket with a MIG and that solved that.

As said before, I fully expected problems with a few inadaquate mounting pieces when I bought it. I wasn't disappointed. Gotta remember that the American importers of such items beat the manufactures down to the lowest dollar. To make a nickle the folks in China have to start cutting corners to provide the merchandise at the lowest price. I'd buy the same engine from the same guy if I had it to do again. The engine its self is just fine. I bought from him, rather than 15 bucks cheaper on eBay, because it came with a 6 month warranty rather than nothing if bought off fleeBay.

If you have any trouble getting yours going just PM me and we'll work out the little kinks.

I threw it together this weekend and its absolutely amazing. when its running. Crappy checkoslovakian engine cuts out randomly and i cant put a finger on the problem. but other than that my chain system gives no problems and i geared it low so it climbs straight up mountains. it runs about the same speed as pedaling so it worked out nice. I made a cover for the coils with an old goop can and a coat hanger :) Also for the back axle i welded a big washer to the hub and bolted the sprocket to that so i can chage gearing if i want. the lockout on the engine sprocket makes it so you can freewheel and pedal normally

Last edited:

Oldsalt

Beautiful! I love it! Useing the jackshaft to get a lower drive ratio is a super idea. Without it I'm sure it would run 30 MPH which is too fast to control a bicycle for extended periods of time. And, as you point out, its better to be able to go up hills. What did you get the engine off of? What is the displacement? Keep up the good work!

Oldsalt

i have 3 running 49cc weedwacker engines from like 20 years ago, should i put one on a bike???
I understand that some folks put a roller on the weed wacker motor that is then mounted over the rear tire with the roller in contact with the tread of the tire. I suppose it works but have not seen a set up like that.

got my motor from a jawa. I got it from a freind years ago. It wasnt running and his father was afraid someone would steal it from his yard so he threw away the back wheel:eek:ut: Well he gave it to me and i didnt know about ebay at the time i was only 16 or so. so i stripped it and still had the motor laying around waiting for a use. Its a 1bhp 50cc engine

theres lots of stuff on homemade friction drive scooters here Tzi's ScooterWorld

I understand that some folks put a roller on the weed wacker motor that is then mounted over the rear tire with the roller in contact with the tread of the tire. I suppose it works but have not seen a set up like that.

oldsalt that idea does not seem like it would work, dont you think the wheel would just slip off the tire?

Here are the pics of the two friction drive bike engines that i have in my collection of junk hence the name the orange one is the weed eater style appears to mount behind the seat has alever to put drive wheel against the tire and a mini centrifical clutch the red is called a superbike engine and at one time was on the web haven't checked lately at that time 395.00 fits in the crotch of the bike and has a lever to engage the friction wheel it appears to stradle the seat post