Anyone else mess with these?

Oldsalt

Decided I needed a motorized bicycle. Bought a kit on the net and picked up a nice old Murray 3-speed bike. The kit is advertized as 80cc but is acually only 66cc. But even then it's illegal because it's more than 49 or 50cc to be a gen-u-wine 'motorized bicycle" by the letter of the law. The hype is that a person with a smattering of tools can assemble one in a few hours. Jesus Christ, even if assited by the complete staff at NASA, couldn't match that time. Technically all the required parts are in the kit. However a lot of the attachment hardware is so hopelessly inadaquate that better parts MUST be fabricated. I think it will be fun based on the fact that it's legal to ride a motorized bicycle on the street!

I've thought about one of those set-ups on a full suspension mountain bike.

What happens with the engines drive and the bikes derailleur & gear-set?

How fast do you think it will go?:wink:

never had one of them, i have a solex 3800 that mounts on top of front tire,engine only,
plus i do have a ohlsson & rice chicken power 1 HP that mounts on front of bike,ther neat
:scooter::scooter::scooter::scooter:

Oldsalt

How much was it? Did it come with the gas tank?
It comes with everything needed includeing the spiffy little gas tank. As said above, some of the parts are really marginal in design. The engine and main drive system is O.K., it's the accessory stuff like gas tank mount, coil mount, engine mount, chain guard mount, and wireing that is sorta minimal. These 80cc [really 66cc] kits are on ebay for $130-$150. But none would offer a warrenty. I oped to purchase mine for $179 from Zone 8 Cycling [www.zone8cycling.com] because they have a warrenty and because they sell the 'better' EPA model that is an improvement on earlier models. Everything arrived in fine shape and was shippep in a timely manner.

Oldsalt

I've thought about one of those set-ups on a full suspension mountain bike.

What happens with the engines drive and the bikes derailleur & gear-set?

How fast do you think it will go?:wink:
JM
The basic kit has a chain that runs to the rear wheel where an additional sprocket is attached [on the opposite side from the normal sprock.

The basic set-p will not work for am bicycle that has suspension at the rear. However, there's another company that makes a kit, to be used with this style engine, to drive the front sprocket. This means that the engine can take advantage of all the normal de-railleur sprockets on the bike. It also means that the rear suspension is no problem.

They say the top speed is 30-40 mph. I would believe 30 with a little tail wind.

Oldsalt

I was also looking to buy this setup,what did you have trouble with?Let us know how it runs once you have it assembled.
The biggest problem was the chicken s**t little sheet metal clamps the are suppose to be used to attach the engine to the front down tube and the seat post tube of the bicycle frame. WAY too light. I milled replacements out of aluminum blocks and by-passed the potential problem. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissatisfied with the kit. Long experience with China stuff [that the American importer beats down to absolute minium price] the few things that needed special attention were expected.

It will be ready to run in a day or so but it started raining pretty good so it might be a while before I can give it road test.

...The kit is advertised as 80cc but is actually only 66cc. But even then it's illegal because it's more than 49 or 50cc to be a gen-u-wine 'motorized bicycle" by the letter of the law....
I have often thought to have some professional quality 3 to 3.5" round stickers produced that have "49cc" printed on them. You know... Just the correct size to adhere to the average recoil starter housing. :thumbsup:

Just think of all those 6.5HP clone powered DB-30's, running around with their new 49cc stickers. :evil_laughter: :lol:

i was looking at those i have an old parkleigh with a 3 speed trans in the rear hub thinking it would be cool to have gears could probably get going pretty fast in 3rd gear

Motra

I have often thought to have some professional quality 3 to 3.5" round stickers produced that have "49cc" printed on them. You know... Just the correct size to adhere to the average recoil starter housing. :thumbsup:

Just think of all those 6.5HP clone powered DB-30's, running around with their new 49cc stickers. :evil_laughter: :lol:
I like this idea! :thumbsup:

Oldsalt

The first attached picture is the finished bike. I might paint the tank some other color. She runs very well. All that is needed is to pedel to about 5 MPH and let in the clutch lever. The engine starts easily and has enough torque to pull my 250 lbs to 20 MPH or so and cruse along like it knew what it was doing. Throughly enjoyable to be riding LEGALLY on the street! Well not entirely legal, but I'm going to make up a "49cc" sticker for the engine as Motra suggests. The second is a picture of me on the machine. Can you imagine a local law enforcement official pulling me over and me playing my hard of hearing, and somewhat senile act? I could probably sell tickets just to watch.

miked:
This bike also has that three speed trans in the rear hub that you mention. But the engine does not drive the rear wheel through the original sprockets, another sprocket is added to the rear wheel that is independently driven by the motor.

well,it looks cool,how does it sound?Is it whiney?Maybe hop it up with a straight pipe and billet rod and flywheel.LOLAfter I'm finished my project,I'll look into it,looks interesting.:thumbsup:I like it!

Oldsalt

well,it looks cool,how does it sound?Is it whiney?Maybe hop it up with a straight pipe and billet rod and flywheel.LOLAfter I'm finished my project,I'll look into it,looks interesting.:thumbsup:I like it!
Ya, start looking around for a free bike in good condition and put one together! There are good, older bikes all over. A tip. A bicycle with really big frame tubes make it more difficult to mount the engine. The one I found, for free, had 1" diameter frame tubes and was stored out of the rain for about 30 years. The picture shows the bike as I got it, I have not even washed it or oiled the chain. The tires were flat, all I did was inflate them. They'll be replaced but you can find a nice one too. The little engine makes a humming noise that is not altogether unpleasant. Can you hop one up? I suppose the intake and exhaust ports can be cut and a tuned pipe made but I'm thinking the little engine needs all the torque at low RPMs that it can produce.

thats cool. so it would be legal if it was under 50cc? I heard along time ago you need registration but no insurance. or maby it was the other way around. in any case i have an old moped engine would be perfect for somthing like that