anyone up for making hs50 or ohh55 tecumseh preformance parts

joshua. c.

iv been reading alot of threds about people wanting to upgrade there stock hs50s and ohh55s and this is posible but its hard to find preformance parts. in particular there is no known producer for an hs50 billet flywheel or one for the ohh55. the ohh55 did have some preformance parts made once but exept for the billet rod, they are imposible to find now. The billet rod from arc for an ohh55 fits the hs50 but it has a different dipper that donsn't reach as far doun to the bottom of the crank case so for the hs50 its a good but not grate option. also everyone jumps doun your throut about speeking of pulling the govenor without a billet flywheel but when there is none avalable you dont realy have a choice. parts needed include but arn't limited to:, billet flywheels, a billet rod spesifikly made for the hs50, oversised valves and seats, stronger valve retainers, stiffer springs, thin head gaskets, offset flywheel keys. a wider choice of headers, intakes for racing carbs. and billet cams honistly i dont expect all of these parts to be made but id at least like a billet flywheel option for both engines thats ready to install right out of the box. so is there anyone up to solving this problem?

Last edited:
tim isky has cam and springs. I have the arc rod in a number of modded hs50's with no problems. Flywheel is a problem. I was going to measure taper and diam and see if arc has something that would work. If you just ask them if they have one for a hs50 they will say no as they never made one specifically for it. They may have one for another engine that has same diam and taper.
You may have to lap and set timing without a key.

iv been reading alot of threds about people wanting to upgrade there stock hs50s and ohh55s and this is posible but its hard to find preformance parts. in particular there is no known producer for an hs50 billet flywheel or one for the ohh55. the ohh55 did have some preformance parts made once but exept for the billet rod, they are imposible to find now. The billet rod from arc for an ohh55 fits the hs50 but it has a different dipper that donsn't reach as far doun to the bottom of the crank case so for the hs50 its a good but not grate option. also everyone jumps doun your throut about speeking of pulling the govenor without a billet flywheel but when there is none avalable you dont realy have a choice. parts needed include but arn't limited to:, billet flywheels, a billet rod spesifikly made for the hs50, oversised valves and seats, stronger valve retainers, stiffer springs, thin head gaskets, offset flywheel keys. a wider choice of headers, intakes for racing carbs. and billet cams honistly i dont expect all of these parts to be made but id at least like a billet flywheel option for both engines thats ready to install right out of the box. so is there anyone up to solving this problem?
OldMiniBikes sells a billet rod, isky cams will sell you cam and stiffer springs, what we need REALLY hard are billet fly wheels, 1 for racing and 1 with lighting magnets for us mini bike and street guys.

the head can be decked and fire slotted and the block fly cut. Sometimes you can find rare 80 over pistons like i did so that's another part that should be made is permanence pistons.

Forget the governor i will delete mine and make bracket for the throttle cable, or just replace the spring with bailing wire. :laugh:

Oh yeah apparently some engine come with CURVED fins on the head. Those are kind of cool also maybe some one could caste some custom heads, the head is the easiest part to make. I've seen people make and RUN wooden heads, if wood can work then i'm sure doesn't have to be a super amazing casting quality though that would help.

One other thing that complicates the flywheel. there are two styles of ignition the points type under the flywheel with magnets underneath and the external CDI ignition whith coil above the flywheel mounter to two studs on the cylinder casting that is missing on the magneto engines.

joshua. c.

the solution for that issue woold be a flywheel set up with magnets on both sides so it can be used for either ignition type. also correct me if im rong but dosn't the ohh55 use the same flywheel as the newer type hs50? iv seen both and they look the same. if so it coold be use on that engine as well.

the solution for that issue woold be a flywheel set up with magnets on both sides so it can be used for either ignition type. also correct me if im rong but dosn't the ohh55 use the same flywheel as the newer type hs50? iv seen both and they look the same. if so it coold be use on that engine as well.
what defines a newer type HS50?

External CDI with two cast in posts on the block to mount it, different shroud to clear the CDI coil, Smaller exhaust valve I would guess because of emissions. Probably more but that is what I can think of.

CarPlayLB

I dunno if there are enough people interested in making parts to get the cost down. You may be better off putting a Tec shroud on a Raptor and calling it a day!:thumbsup:

I dunno if there are enough people interested in making parts to get the cost down. You may be better off putting a Tec shroud on a Raptor and calling it a day!:thumbsup:
We still need the magnets on the flywheel to power the lights as cdoublejj suggested. A raptor will do no good.

i know almost as a fact it's gonna be a big fat NO but, i might ask my machinist about some fly wheels. It's worth looking at advanced machinery companies with titanium 3d printers becoming a thing it should be more possible than before to get a billet rupp style fly wheel but, i'm gonna bet it still might be 1K a wheel. just guessing though, could be less with the cad files and specs in hand with a group buy.

what i'm really saying though it is possibly but, possibly more likely if we band together with some sort of group buy if we can ever source a source.

EDIT: I also might have a questionable trick up my sleeve, that could possibly take the RPM but, not save any weight. (would require testing)

Last edited:
Is there a billet flywheel same diameter with a close taper, or one that can be rebored?

I haven't looked at enough of them to know. :shrug:

Can't someone take an old kick starter and copy it affordably? We need to be all kick starting our bikes. We'll just look cooler and it will separate us more clearly from the lawn mower and snow blower enthusiasts.

^^^This

With all the clones, parts for them and cheap prices, I just don't see the "want" for Tec parts. Price and demand economics at it's finest.

Can't someone take an old kick starter and copy it affordably? We need to be all kick starting our bikes. We'll just look cooler and it will separate us more clearly from the lawn mower and snow blower enthusiasts.
if you got money you can find a manufacturer on allibaba and order a shipping container full of them. :laugh:

seriously though keep the parts idea coming guys. we got, flywheels, kickstarters, over bore pistons that we all lack.

you can, get billet rods, cams, springs, those fancy curved fined snow blower heads, ball bearing side covers though hard to find.

what else?

EDIT: yeah all this stuff would probably best sold in the low to mid hundreds.

joshua. c.

^^^This

With all the clones, parts for them and cheap prices, I just don't see the "want" for Tec parts. Price and demand economics at it's finest.
the want is for good quality flathead engines we can mod that dont look like crap in a vintage mini bike frame like clones do and for some projects the engine needs to be the origenal. honestly if i new where to get these parts made at a resonable price and if i had the funds i woold have them made myself, but i just don't. also i find alot of used hs50s for 50$ most of the time. way cheeper than a crapy clone. as far as price and demand there is a small demand now but i think it woold grow to be much larger if were parts easily avalable. look at how many people hear are asking for them. there are likely three times that many or more that you dont hear from and more woold join when they realize there were parts. just think how many bikes and still have hs40s and 50s in them. and how many snow blowers used tecumsehs. they are everyware.

i'm not sure of your definition of clone but, on my jap bikes the clone engines are awesome, at least the real deal Lifans and Zongshens and the knock offs of knock offs.

that said when i get a break in the action i will definitely be asking around my circle.

Is there a billet flywheel same diameter with a close taper, or one that can be rebored?

I haven't looked at enough of them to know. :shrug:
I've done this years ago, but I forget exactly what the flywheel was for (A Briggs of some sort for sure). It was a different diameter and I had to make a coil bracket, but that's no big deal.

From a point of economics, the lack of easily accessible cams probably makes the market for flywheels lower because that kinda goes hand in hand. OTOH, The fact that a lot of the HS50 and OHH50-OHH65 stuff swap out would probably make it more feasible. I am surprised that there isn't somebody making an off the shelf performance camshaft. As many fun karts that got OHH engines in last 15 years, I would think they'd sell just like the ARC rods do. Tecumseh didn't do themselves any favors with the non-adjustable carbs in terms of making them a desirable engine to mod for the average person.

Its a shame, because there is a lot of potential for power on the OHH engines. I raced a heavily modded OHH55 in late 90's and early 2000's and it ran really well. I was using a custom cam, rod, and modified flywheel for it. The head was ported, had bigger valves, and I was running a Tilly on a custom intake and hand built header. The big bore/short stroke would really buzz! I work in a machine shop to make/modify a lot of stuff myself. This was well before the Animal ever came out, and the guys I raced with considered it somewhat exotic at the time. My how times changes (and flys!).