ARC Flywheel doesn't fit?

Went to put my #6620 ARC Flywheel (OldMiniBikes bought of course) on my Flattie last night and it doesn't clear/fit over the points cover or the mounting bosses with the points cover removed. Didn't see anything here or any web search where anyone has had this problem. I can't be the only one putting this wheel on this old of a motor? 130000 series aluminum block. Has to be one of you experts who can set me straight on the problem. Never enough time to do it right, always enough time to do it over! Thanks in advance for the help. :thumbsup::biggrin:

bandit 40

Ive never heard of these being used with points :shrug: Maybe they are designed only for the pointless ignition.

Last edited:
That's my guess thus far, just can't believe I didn't find more common info. I can do the points conversion and cut the garbage underneath out of the way but thought I'd ask first. Still surprised that this isn't a more common problem. ARC touts the widespread use of these on their site. :thumbsup::biggrin:

Ran into this as well. Scribbled some black Sharpy on the back of the flywheel placed it back on and lightly hand spun it. Popped it off and looked for the black mark. Had to file down the raised piece that you screw into to clamp down the condenser. Can get a pic if that was too confusing. XD

And just wondering if/what you changed your timing to with the ARC flywheel?

oscart

Had the same problem on my Briggs 5Hp 130202. Converted to pointless ignition and removed the points, cover etc. You will also have to file down (easy) the sides of some of the bosses that stick out and rub agains the flywheel. Don't have to file a lot, just on the sides at an angle to clear the flywheel. Here is the Briggs part and should be in stock in any shop that does small engine repairs etc. The armature has built in electronics to replace the points and like all Briggs parts, comes with good instructions.

Briggs Armature-Magneto 397358

Last edited: