ARC rod and Piston

C9H13NO3

I'm thinking of putting an ARC rod in my clone- do you have to remove the piston to do so? I really don't know how to put those rings in.

I'm thinking of putting an ARC rod in my clone- do you have to remove the piston to do so? I really don't know how to put those rings in.
Yes and you only need to install rings if they're worn out or you're installing a new piston. If you do change pistons, just look at the old one to see how the ring gaps are positioned. There are no special tools required to install the rings either, just use your hands.

65ShelbyClone

It can be done without removing the piston, but if you've never had one of these engine apart before, just count on pulling the piston and rod out together.

125ccCrazy

It can be done without removing the piston, but if you've never had one of these engine apart before, just count on pulling the piston and rod out together.
how would you do that? IF the piston dropped down far enough to expose the wristpin you'd have to pull the crank first..

If you put a rod in the engine buy a ring compressor and dont take the chance of breaking a ring by doing it by hand.... Position the rings with the end gaps like this:

top ring gap: 10 o'clock
second ring gap: 4 o'clock
top oil ring gap: 8 o'clock
bottom oil ring gap: 2 o'clock

never have your gaps above each other or over the wrist pin..

125ccCrazy

125ccCrazy, what do you set your ring gap at ?
.004 on the the top 2 rings and .006-.008 on the oil rings with the piston about 1/4" in the bore when you push the rings down in the cylinder to sqaure them up...

some guys like .005 on the top and ..010 on the oil

I've even heard guys going .010 on the second ring and the oil rings but I stay with the top specs..

here's a good link with pictures that helped me when I went with a billet rod and flat top piston...best of luck

Code:
http://www.affordablegokarts.com/billet-rod-flat-top-piston.php

Uh oh.. i already ordered the billet rod but it has been said that i need new rings if i remove the piston. Is there any way that i can get around this?

Uh oh.. i already ordered the billet rod but it has been said that i need new rings if i remove the piston. Is there any way that i can get around this?
You don't have to replace the rings. But if you are going for an kind of performance you should. If you call your local Honda mower shop you should be able to get a set for around $30 and about $10 for a 3" hone. Then its like having a fresh motor.

When installing the rod, use a torque wrench. Dont try to do this with just a ratchet. Also, if your adding a rod, i would say throw a flattop piston in as well. Its only 20 bucks or so and youll have the engine apart anyway