Azusa Minibike Project

Hello all. I'm new around here, but I thought I'd start a thread on the Azusa minibike I'm building for my son Nathan. I had a minibike as a kid, and loved it, and I know he will to. I collect the old cast iron Briggs engines, and have about 50 of them, ranging from 1932-1956. I've decided to use an early 50's Briggs Model 8 on this project. Its only rated at 2.25hp, but my son is only 9, so I'm happy with that, and it will look really classy. The Azusa kit I got came with the 72t sprocket, and I'll be using an 11t on the engine. This will gear it low, which should help with the underpowered engine, and limit top speed, which will help with my wife!:laugh: As he gets older, he can take the vintage Briggs off, and upgrade to something more powerful if he wants too. Although I will be keeping the drum brake as well, I plan on building a scrub brake for it too. The one I had as a kid had a scrub brake, and I like being able to use your foot to brake. I think I'm going to build a braket, and mount the gas tank on the back of the bike. I posted a pic of one of my other engines below, and the one I'm building will be physically identical, although I'll be using an optional recoil start on his engine, as I think the old fashion rope cup would be very painful on the riders legs!:doah: I'm open to suggestions, and all input is welcome. This really is a great site, and you folks have some awesome minibikes!:thumbsup:

Matt

Last edited:

buckeye

This ought to be cooooool!!
Welcome to OldMiniBikes. You are right too. There are great people on this forum always willing to help.:thumbsup:

That engine is sweet right there!

Nices motors!!! After you get hooked from you first build, find yourself a really old bike and put one of them old briggs in it. Keep us posted with the build.

Thanks for all the encouraging posts, they're much appreciated.:thumbsup: I did get the bike mocked up, but I'm having some problems with the brake dragging. From what I've read here this is a very common problem with this Azusa brake.:doah: You'd think they would remedy this! I mean, it is called Azusa ENGINEERING! I put a Briggs 6s on it temporarily, and ran it for awhile with the wheel of the ground, hoping it would help the problem, but no such luck! Oh well, I'll get to work on it.:hammer: I did order a set of chrome fenders from OldMiniBikes today, as well as some stainless steel 1/2 NPT pipe for the exhaust. Hopefully I'll get started designing the scrub brake for it soon. Thanks for all the comments!

Matt

old-timer

Scamming Member
Matt,
I had the same problems with my brake set up on my build off bike. Turned out that the problem on mine was more the wheel than the drum . I used new Azusa Tri Stars and they were out of round causing the brake to rub in one spot on the drum.

I sent mine out to a member here who owns a machine shop thinking the drum sprocket was warped, but it turned out to be the wheel itself causing the problem. Once he got the wheel trued, it was fine.

Just some food for thought :shrug:

Vic

Same problem with the brakes here too.

I did remedy my problem (sort of) by custom fitting the pads to the drum. I sprayed some gray primer on the pads and assembled. Spun the hub around with a little brake applied. What I found is that the brakes were only touching the drum in a few small areas. I filed the brake shoes a little bit on the high spots and re-assembled and spun around with a little brake applied... filed...assembled...filed..assembled.... until finally the pads were hitting on 95% of the drum.

That was from my build thread.

The brakes work pretty good now, but what they don't do is stop you on a dime at 45 mph. Works good from 20 mph though.

Thanks for the advice on my brakes. I'll get to work on them soon, as I can't have them rubbing, especially only having 2.25 hp. It needs to roll free!:biggrin:. I've been really busy with work, but I finally found some time to work on the mini. I also got some parts in. I got the chrome fenders, kick stand, and stainless steel pipe for the exhaust. I built a scrub brake for it, which between it, and the drum brake, this thing should stop well. I also got the kick stand welded on. As you can see, my welds aren't that pretty, but with a little grinding you'll never know!:laugh: The scub brake works great, and I will be installing a spring on it, to keep it from rubbing the tire all the time. Anyway, here are some pics. Oh, buy the way, the engine thats on it right now is just for mock up, and test riding, as the model 8 is being prepped for paint right now. Thanks

Matt

Last edited:
I also bought this clutch/chain guard off ebay the other day. It hasn't arrived yet, but I think it will look good on this project. I don't have a clue what kind of minibike it came off of.

Matt

Last edited:
Thanks Vic! I found a little more time today to work on the azusa. I welded a couple pieces of strap to the frame, so I could mount the fenders. I also welded a bracket on behind the seat for mounting the gas tank. Overall, I'm pleased with the way its looking. Not much more to do, before I can break it back down for paint.:thumbsup:

Matt

Last edited:
Thanks buckeye. I almost forgot, I purchased a better seat for it on ebay. It has red tubing that will look great with the red paint. It hasn't gotten here yet, but it should be here Monday.

Matt

Last edited: