Baja Warrior engine swap... Tecumseh HM80

so today i traded a briggs pull start and a used electric starter for a running tecumseh HM80. w/o gas tank, but it ran. the first thing i did to it was put some gas into the spark plug hole and pressed the button, and it fired right up. so i jerry rigged on a 8hp briggs tank and it ran off that.

carb is FULLY adjustable :thumbsup:

my only problem is, its a 1" OD shaft. :freakout:

i guess either i look at a $120 clutch (im broke right now) or i figure out how to turn it down. the best way for me that i know of is starting the engine, and hold a file to the shaft and wait a LONG LONG time. then, cut a 3/16 keyway into it with my dremel. if this works, that would be awesome!

i have no desire to rip apart the good running engine and bring the crankshaft to my local CNC shop. that costs money too....:wink:

so here is my bike and the engine together... to give an idea of what it will turn out to be.

and here is the engine now after i fixed the pull start and freshened it up a bit. just have to get the rust off the muffler and make a adapter to use that air filter...

Last edited:

Neck

Growing up is optional
I did that with a Briggs 8 horse flattie, only I redid the engine cradle
Before frame mod

after frame mod

delray

Bluethunder3320
hold a file to the shaft and wait a LONG LONG time. then, cut a 3/16 keyway into it with my dremel
NO...NO...NO:doah: save your money and buy the right clutch/driver. is that tecumseh really going to fit or i should say look right on that bike:shrug:

Bluethunder3320
NO...NO...NO:doah: save your money and buy the right clutch/driver. is that tecumseh really going to fit or i should say look right on that bike:shrug:
you are right. too bad i already did it. i spent about 4 hours with the file and cut the keyway.

the clutch fit. and then? now i can notice a slight wobble :censure: FML.

neck, that is some great work. even a TAV?

thought you were broke?:laugh:
i am. gotta save up.

my other option is get it machined to something smaller and use an adapter and staggered key to get back to 3/4. opinions?

EDIT: or i could go back to the guy i traded some stuff for and ask him for another crank. he had at least 5 HM80's there and some blown up.

all those other H70's or HM80's had 1" cranks so im going to get this one corrected and machined. ill get a quote and then update.

as of right now the engine is apart and i started cleaning up parts and making it nice. there was a CRAPLOAD of carbon in there and a few metal shavings in the crankcase, not to mention crappy oil.

Am i the only one who doesn't understand why you are going to the trouble to swap in a TANK of a motor to a bike that puts out 8hp when a 6.5hp clone will do that and more with a header/filter/jet? add a $50 cam and it goes higher.

Seems like alot of work for zero gain in power.. or a loss actually due to the weight.

Am i the only one who doesn't understand why you are going to the trouble to swap in a TANK of a motor to a bike that puts out 8hp when a 6.5hp clone will do that and more with a header/filter/jet? add a $50 cam and it goes higher.

Seems like alot of work for zero gain in power.. or a loss actually due to the weight.
Some people like big old flat heads.

They can also be made to put out a lot of power....

Neck

Growing up is optional
And I for one HATE! the look of a backward leaning clone engine. I put the 163cc clone I pulled out of my Warrior in my El Tigre, no I threw it in my El Tigre just so I had a bike to ride at Bonneville, and it's still in there, but I, well....you know.

MB165

I cant wait to see how it turns out. How are you going to do the drive, jackshaft, TAV??
I snatched a hm80 snow king off a junk snowblower last week, got me thinking.....

:hammer: You know, why don't you just get a 200cc Honda or Lifan trike motor (and tranny) drop it in the baja heat/warrior, then use a gas tank from either a trike or motocycle. Atleast that is my plan after I blow the clone in my warrior to peices :biggrin:

thats possible........

well i just about saved enough for a new crank, then gotta start saving for the TC.

new crank is $120 shipped.

today i broke the fake gas tank on my baja. i can weld it pretty easily but i dont know if i will. i took it off and the bike felt 10000 pounds lighter.

i removed a governor off a greyhound and i guess ill throw that in once its running...... and just beat the hell outta it :laugh: wonder how long it will last??? maybe half the summer lol.

My fake tank on my warrior was sqished like a beer can when I got it, so I jsut left it off, and it actually doesn't make a difference. I gotta get me a decent motor for my warrior though, my clone is a peice of... I actually might be able to get my hands on a 8hp tecumseh from a snowblower for my warrior, but first I wanna see how this goes.

alright well i have about $150 as of right now and this is what i can see costing:

crankshaft $100ish
TC $200ish (or $100ish cent. clutch)
air filter assembly (home made?)

toomanytoys

I'm confused...instead of fooling with this like you have why didn't you just save the money and pick up a 1" bore comet?

My super broncs both have HM80s with 1" shafts running 30 series TAVs.

You would of saved yourself a boat load of money instead of ruining a crank, and still having to buy a TAV.