Baja warrior front disc brake?

Easiest way to add front brakes is to put a rear wheel on it.

Works well....

clone stuff :: 100_9791.jpg picture by Dougwp - Photobucket

Makes things easier too your front and rear share the same shoes. AS the fornt wears swap out the front to rear and you can boith bakllance out your tyre wear and brake shoe wear.

There is a HONDA brake shoe that fits these and works a bit better than the Baja ones. I don't know the part number but maybe the local bike dealer can help you out

joekd

Honda shoes part number 06430-GBJ-J10

Came on the following:
XR200R 1981-1983

TL125S 1976

XL70 1976

TL250 1976 "Trials 250"

NS50F 1990

XR600R 1985-1992

TR200 FATCAT 1986-1987

XR200R 1994-2002

CRF150F 2003-2007

CRF230 2003-2007

Honda shoes part number 06430-GBJ-J10

Came on the following:
XR200R 1981-1983

TL125S 1976

XL70 1976

TL250 1976 "Trials 250"

NS50F 1990

XR600R 1985-1992

TR200 FATCAT 1986-1987

XR200R 1994-2002

CRF150F 2003-2007

CRF230 2003-2007
thanks for brake advice. I have the honda in the back but im concern with mud and water getting inside limiting their ability. Have you notced a groove inside the rear brake mount hub, looks like its made for a seal.:shrug:

RobK

I bought a rotor and caliper setup at Scooter Parts & Accessories - Largest Selection for Chinese & Asian Scooter Parts. Wholesale Scooter parts, Parts for Dirt Bikes, ATV, Off-Road Kart Parts.. The tricky part was coming up with a hub to mount the rotor on the wheel. My brother in law was able to make me a steel one, but it wasn't very thick, so it was tough getting everying aligned. I had a welding shop mount a tab on fork to bolt the caliper. I finally got the rotor straight and welded on, but my welding is not perfect. I will say it works great. Much better than the rear drum brakes. For the next one I'll get a machine shop to make me a better rotor.

This is the rotor.
Dirt Bike Raised Front Disc Brake Rotor

I bought this caliper setup, but the line is a bit too short.
Hydraulic Brake Kit : Super Pocket Bikes

I think I should have bought this one.
Scooter Parts: Hydraulic Brake Kit

thanks for brake advice. I have the honda in the back but im concern with mud and water getting inside limiting their ability. Have you notced a groove inside the rear brake mount hub, looks like its made for a seal.:shrug:
The font drum mod is weld free.

So far I have not had any issues with it wet or dry.
Hard to get water in it.....

Fact is when you get hard ont he binders in a stock 165 the weight shifts forward and the rear wheel will loose traction.
witht he rear drum added front and rear like I did you have more than double to stopping power.

Too much stopping power up front is not in your best interest if they lock up.
The front drum mod will take as much presure as you can squeeze without lock up. This leaves you free to modulate the rear that may lock in conjunction with the front in a hard braking.

Trust me.
This is enough stopping power for the 165....

Not having a disk brake on a mb165 I can't say anything other than it looks neat. If I was capable of welding I'd try to convert both brakes to disk :grind:

However I do have a front drum brake on a mb165 and I can agree with Oldschool that it works great.
I've been in some pretty slimy wet mud several times this year and have not had any big issues with mud/water in the drums. I had mud over my engine plate once and had to dig the bike out. Once I got it free the brakes did feel a little faded for a couple seconds but then worked fine.

ave you notced a groove inside the rear brake mount hub, looks like its made for a seal
I thought the same thing.

Not having a disk brake on a mb165 I can't say anything other than it looks neat. If I was capable of welding I'd try to convert both brakes to disk :grind:

However I do have a front drum brake on a mb165 and I can agree with Oldschool that it works great.
I've been in some pretty slimy wet mud several times this year and have not had any big issues with mud/water in the drums. I had mud over my engine plate once and had to dig the bike out. Once I got it free the brakes did feel a little faded for a couple seconds but then worked fine.

I thought the same thing.
Looks like your using a version of Dave's Brake mod as well.
I have to give the man credit it sure stops you in a hurry.

And yes I also thought about a using a felt pad or someting to keep water and mud out.
Fact is its not been a problem....

Take it apart and sand the rear drum with some 100 grit paper 90 deg to the machinig marks. This will hush it up a little.

Buy a set of Honda 06430-GBJ-J10 shoes they work better

This was a custom job I did. Aside from the drumm in the front which is all bolt on. Your gonna have to get your hands dirty in the machine shop then break out the welder:thumbsup:

[/IMG]

I've been thinking about the front disc brake and doing a little online research. I still like the disc and caliper I mentioned previously, but I can't find a hub to fit it. I still have to get a price on making one for that disk, but I'm also thinking about this.

The axle diameter on the front wheel is 39mm with the paint stripped off. I've been looking at the MCP Standard Rear Brake Hub, and MCP "Super-Slot" Steel Rotor Rieken's Racing: Brake Rotors and Hubs - OUT2WIN.COM. They're go kart parts, but I think it would work. All I'd have to do is have the 1.25 bore on the hub enlarged to 39mm, or about 1.56 inches and recut the keyway. I'd then use my flux core welder to build up a "key" on the wheel and then file it to fit. Without the hub in my hands it's hard to know if there's enough meat there to make the hole large enough without interfering witht the bolt. I think it might work, and at only $16 it might be worth experimenting.

Last edited:
Did this ever work out? I'm looking for some beefier brakes for a custom build using a Baja warrior rear wheel that I'd like to add hydraulic disc brakes to.

Did this ever work out? I'm looking for some beefier brakes for a custom build using a Baja warrior rear wheel that I'd like to add hydraulic disc brakes to.
The front rear drum stops good.

The front end on the 165 is not very strong.
You can bend things from fatigue and get stress cracks.

Once you factor the beating these take at high speed with the extra force front brakes adds you might want to consider beefing up the whole front end and using a completely upgraded set of forks and wheel.