Baja Warrior Rebuild

im considering buying a new 10hp tec shortblock, and using tons of parts i have to make it complete. $130 and $40 shipping.

10hp of tecumseh flathead power in this bike would be so awesome.
170 bucks for a Tec?
I don't know...
There is a reason they went bankrupt and it wasn't because the made a great engine that cost too much, but rather they could not produce a cheap enough one as good as a clone.

That tec looks good blue, but I am with Nos on this one, you should just rebuild the clone. You can make 10hp with a clone and it will beat the heck out of a 10hp tec because the clone is lighter. Anyway, it will be cool. :thumbsup:

The 10 hp Tec will make more power and torque at lower RPM hands down.
Factor the extra weight and bulk things start to even out.

Looks nice though.
Has a very retro feel....

There is a foundry and machine works in Rajkot that makes a realy nice clone of a Villiers flat head in Aluminum.

I like that look of that even more because the exhausrt and car are on the front side of the engine....

If I could get a skid full of those I bet a lot of people would like them just for that very retro English 1950s look. The trouble is I am probably the only one has Whitworth tools around here lol ( outside of a limited group that may own a Triump, Norton or BSA ).

Any how what fellows in Rajkot produce looks something like the MK25.
This would be very cool on a mini....

Villiers Mk25 stationary engine - YouTube

heres a pic of an 8hp that i mocked up in the baja. looks pretty sweet right? the 10hp is the exact same size, ill probably use the carb, manifold, recoil, shroud, charge coil, ignition coil, and electric starter off this.

need to find a battery that will fit on the bike and not spill acid all over me when i wreck (im planning on it)

i know the clone is cheaper and can be built up. i just feel like putting in some american flathead power. the sound and look matters a lot (to me). fast is good, but i want to make a tough looking tank, torque monster. and it still should go the same top speed.

anyone know if the light on the warrior is 12v?

silly tecumseh, :wink:

my posts from here should be pretty straight forward on progress. ive been working hard to get the frame done and figure out how everything will go together.

mud guard to keep dirt from getting caked on the engine, made from a murray tractor body panel. cut it out completely by eye, then hacked off the extra material. longer foot pegs. plugged fake tank holes. reinforced seat mount with angle iron from a bed frame. also welded the rear fender mounts back on. and ground off the old mounting tabs for the safety guards and exhaust head shield (dont need that anymore!)

this is what i cut pieces off. the murray body..

this isnt the engine im using. this one is an 8hp and i will be using a brand new 10hp but the shrouds off this 8hp.

maybe a crack? i used airplane paint remover (good stuff) to take paint off welds and places i need clean to weld but cant reach with a grinder. wire brush it and all the paint is gone.

i spent a long time holding the rear fender on my bench grinder to get all the paint off. it looks really cool as bare metal but i have to paint it or else it will rust...

uhh what kind of animal would chew through a gas cap? there was poop all over the tank too.

broken mounting tabs from wheelies

ill be using a razor mx500 kick stand because the original never had the spring, so i had to zip tie it up ever since i had it. no other spring i had had the right tension.

this is the engine i took parts off... i can convert to recoil only, buy new coil and carb, then i can keep using this engine in spring.

haha so many pics, i know. i have an idea to keep the fenders bare metal... let them rust... it would look cool. but the rest of the frame black, not changing any other colors.

i wonder if these will fit... New Pro Taper Pillow Top Grips Black/Grey/Blk 125 250 450 Dirt Bike Motocross MX | eBay

more pics

the old engine :thumbsup: not to confuse anyone, i am NOT using it. it was rebuilt and i haven't even put oil in it yet. i have ideas in the future to make some kind of small, basic mini bike with 15" carlisle tires i have.

EDIT: and that is a mean sounding pipe, had it on a greyhound and punched it with my hand a foot behind it, the blast actually hurt somewhat. its LOUD. the bends are just perfect...

Last edited:

C9H13NO3

Looking good. Might want to consider getting the frame sandblasted and then paint it from there.

Most shops won't charge alot, I pay $35 a frame.

Looking good. Might want to consider getting the frame sandblasted and then paint it from there.

Most shops won't charge alot, I pay $35 a frame.
thats a good idea... need to find a shop around hartford CT area. $35 i would throw down in a heart beat to have it sandblasted. do you know how much powder coating costs?

OEM bars are 7/8", if reusing the twist throttle you have to remember that the right one is larger due to the throttle tube
would it just expand over that? im kinda confused how that would work

C9H13NO3

thats a good idea... need to find a shop around hartford CT area. $35 i would throw down in a heart beat to have it sandblasted. do you know how much powder coating costs?
I've paid $150 for something to be blasted, prepped, a powdercoated.

However, powdercoat is very very hard to "touch up" so if you plan on riding the bike I would just go with a good enamel spray paint.

I don't even sand after it is blasted, I use a self etching primer and wet sand that, I've never had paint easily chip using that method.

joekd

Your left grip goes directly onto the bars therefore is 7/8" diameter, your right grip has the throttle tube which fits over the bars and your actual grip goes on the outside of this and has a 1" opening

If going thumb throttle this won't matter, just buy ATV style grips where both are 7/8" but if keeping twist throttle make sure the grips are made for a MX bike with the different diameters

well i sorta... cleared out my wallet. wont be able to buy those grips now haha.

:eek::eek::eek:

glass mat battery!

also got metallic green paint, flat black, and self etching primer. brake cleaner too

Nah, I would but I don't trust my fab skills to do something like that. I was gonna mod the top frame rail, to 2 bars coming out of the seat area join into one where the fork tube is. The battery would sit on top of the engine between these double bars...

Was going to put it under the seat but I'd need to find sheet metal and make a battery box, I don't think it'd work right

The way it is now I would not be able to remove the spark plug