Basic Questions For Go Karts

I'm pretty new to all of this but have been able to assemble quit a few Mini Bike from various parts and have had great success. I picked up a Go Kart frame last year in the fall and just finished putting a HF Clone on it. Also, I just finished fixing a B & S "FunPower" 5HP for a friend of mine's Go Kart and assembled that over the weekend. On flat ground these things fly but they both seem to have no power off the line. It's been many years since I've drove a Go Kart but I would think these would have more start up power, even with the fact that I'm 6'4" ablut 225lbs.

On the Clone there's a #90 Jet with Emulsion tude, Header & new Air Fliter, the Briggs is stock.

Any thoughts?

KingPaul

Once I hit send I knew that was going to come up. The The Briggs Kart it has 6" wheels. I'm going to have to count the teeth on both of the sprokets once I get home. The Kart with the clone has some crazy over 12" wheels that I know is my problem.

KingPaul

joekd

Tires are goona require better gearing for off the line, my son's off road kart would be worthless without the TAV on it

I kind of figured that with the one (Clone Engine), but I wouldn't think 6" tires are that big (Briggs Kart). I'll count the sproket tonight

Thanks,

KingPaul

PS How's everything going Joekd? Haven't had much time to ride your old bike but I've used it as a manual many times!!!

Last edited:

joekd

Going good, may be picking up another baja tonight. I have one that is nothing more then a roller so may be able to piece together one solid bike from the two. Need something to follow my son onto the trails because I'm too old to ride passenger in his kart.

You are right though, 6" wheels should still fly, I have ridden manco street karts with 3.5 HP motors and they still had good pickup

Let us know the clutch and sprocket teeth counts

Good point, they both have the sprocket attached to the axle where as my older Kart just has the sprocket attached to one wheel. Once it stops raining I will check the sprocket size.

KingPaul

toomanytoys

I had a 5HP powered manco live axle kart with 8 or 10" knobby tires on it when I was a kid. That thing would scoop, we clocked it at 31mph with me in it. 90lbs soaking wet.

It still had tons of power with my Dad in it 180 or so lbs

Last edited:
well, theres your problem.....for that to be geared right you need a 60t sprocket and a tav, or a serious jack shaft with a 10-1 final drive ratio or larger ...atm your geared rather high no wonder your take off sucks

Yes with that gearing and 20 inch tires you are going to have no bottom end at all....I just sold my rupp kart that I had 18 inch tires on and 7.5:1ish gearing and it worked pretty well...Strong acceleration and top speed was about 26mph on the governor..