basic set-up

I recently acquired a azusa frame. It has all the parts except a motor and a chain. Im looking for a simple set-up. any suggestions on basic motor and anything else i may need.

looks very nice. I was hoping for a motor that would fit in the frame a little better. i have $400 budget to complete this project. any suggestion on a 5.5hp motor?

You can buy a 6.5hp Predator motor from harbor frieght right now for I think $99, can't beat the price or the performance out of the box! I have one on my mini and it has been an EXCELLENT engine so far, pulls hard, has lots of power, starts every time (starts easier when you remember to turn off the kill switch), couldn't beat it for the price. If you change out the aircleaner and the restrictive mufflre it makes a good bit more room as well, can also remove the gas tank and mount a remote one and it will give you a ton more room.

Go with a Predator, you won't be disappointed!

Oldsalt

Hummmmm. Nice Azusa [U.S.A.] frame and etc., all ya need is an engine and chain. Only one mention from any poster about using an American engine. So here goes. Like Markscycles says; You can get a lot of nice engines off CL and elsewhere for far less than $99. A Briggs flathead 5 HP is the way to go IF you are serious about having a minibike that is more than a toy to trash around with. Honest, I have nothing against a clone motor [other than they are junk] because they definitely fill a need. But this is "OLD" Min Bikes.com, in the long run, I believe, you'll be happier if you hold out for a Briggs or a Tec.

in the long run, I believe, you'll be happier if you hold out for a Briggs or a Tec.
Yep, I agree. Do a search on CL for rototiller or edger for donor engines. You can easily go with a clutch brake, super simple and easy to use. Post a picture or three as your build progresses.:thumbsup:

CC 51

Hummmmm. Nice Azusa [U.S.A.] frame and etc., all ya need is an engine and chain. Only one mention from any poster about using an American engine. So here goes. Like Markscycles says; You can get a lot of nice engines off CL and elsewhere for far less than $99. A Briggs flathead 5 HP is the way to go IF you are serious about having a minibike that is more than a toy to trash around with. Honest, I have nothing against a clone motor [other than they are junk] because they definitely fill a need. But this is "OLD" Min Bikes.com, in the long run, I believe, you'll be happier if you hold out for a Briggs or a Tec.
Very well Said!

If you are going for looks, or an accurate restoration, get a Briggs flatty or a Tecumseh, if you just want a good, fun rider, for the $$$$, I really don't think you can beat the Honda clone, AKA Predator from Harbor Freight for $99.

I have had a lot of Briggs flat-heads, a handful of Tecumsehs, and a bunch of Kohlers, Kawasakis, 3 Briggs Inteks, and a couple of Hondas. So far as ease of use, easy starting, fast warm up, torque and general reliability, the Predators beat out any of the flat-heads, the OHV Kohlers and are level with the Kawasakis and Hondas.

My Predators start first pull every time, they are warm enough to run without any choke instantly, they deliver great power. Pay an extra $20, and you can get the 2 yr instant replacement warranty. Try to get a Briggs, Tec, or Honda with a 2 yr instant replacement warranty for $120.

If you don't want a Clone, and are not really sold on a flat-head, (like you want to buy American), I would recommend the Briggs Intek. I have them on my aerators, which get bounced and worked very hard. My Inteks last much longer than the flatties I used to run, and start way easier.

thanks guys! im going to try the honda gx200 from nr racing. i guess the mini bike package and add a small gas tank. does this sound right?