Benelli Dynamo carb tuning

Struggling big time. This is our family 1970Benelli Dynamo. Has been back and forth from PA,NJ, NY and now is with me in VA. I did a restore on it the last few months and am beyond proud of it. But.......it starts but doesn't run great. It starts with the choke down and runs ok but has no power. Choke wide open runs with a ton of throttle twist only. Won't idle no matter what. Idle screw is 1-1/4 turns out. Mixture screw is 1 out. Fumbling with these screws hasn't warranted much change. Carb has been off the bike 4 times this past week, every Port and jet cleaned. Float works as it should. 93 octane with 40:1 2 stroke ratio (stp). New head gasket, new cylinder base gasket. No gas leaks. E3 hot spark plug.
PhotoGrid_1688676979229~2.jpg

Rings replaced, still runs like crap no matter what screw settings I use. Carb has been cleaned over and over. Will not idle at all. Needle down it runs but has no power, needle up barely runs but has good power when throttle applied. Where do I go from here?

Might check carb & manifold for air leaks. Spray wd40 around it while running & see if engine speed is affected. My Honda s90 had a warped carb & manifold flange I found & had to block sand them flat again to stabilize the idle again. I see your carb is not quite the same as that. Small air leaks can really mess with an engine...

Last edited:
On your 2 stroke engine, the crankcase is also part of your intake system. One of those seals leaking might not be visible, but it will leak air in and cause problems.
A small vacuum leak (air leak) will cause problems at idle, when your engine is not using much air and vacuum is highest. That little bit of air leaking in is a much higher percentage of what gets into the cylinder than it would be at higher RPM, when there is much more air coming in through the carb. If you removed the jug to get that piston out, that gasket around the jug is critical to a good idle, also.

Ok, so I started to disassemble. Does anyone know which magneto puller I need? Is it 18mm or 19mm? Being its aluminum I don't want to use a "jaw" puller. Thank u in advance

I can't for the life of me get the gear off to change the right side seals. Anyone have a pic or link to show what gear remover u used?? They actually look fantastic. Kick stand side not so much. Here is my logic....since the right side doesn't have an opening for the chain, I should be able to make this side air tight with gasket maker. My photo is the magneto / kickstand side main seal. (Destroyed) very easy to put the new one in.

Attachments