Bonanza BC1100 build

Here is my Son's early front peg Bonanza BC1100.

(seller's pic)

After media blasting, primer applied. (motor plate) I should of welded those extras holes shut & ground them smooth, oh well, the motor will "hide" 'em

It has been painted Black for several months now. After being in storage, the frame now has some knicks,scratches. While taking pics, the Bonanza fell over in the snow :censure: notice the snow in the shroud.

custom made Bonanza seat by Kenny!! Thanks again :thumbsup:

We have alot left to do.

The front springs are at " The Chrome Shop" be rechromed.
The jackshaft needs to be replaced with a longer one. My son purchased the wrong one.
Drive sprocket needs to be painted grabber lime green or plated.(my son's choice)

:thumbsup:

Ok, here is the jackshaft my son purchased for his Bonanza:

9-5/16 x 5/8 Jackshaft - Fits Bonanza Mini Bikes
------------------------------------------------------------------------
9-5/16" (overall length), 9" between SnapRings , 5/8 dia., 3/16 keyway. Direct replacement for the front peg(8-1/4" between JackShaft plates) Bonanza BC series bikes.

He also purchased these snap ring bearings:

5/8" x 1-3/8" Precision Sealed Bearing with Snap-Ring - AZ8205
SKU AZ8205 - 5/8" x 1-3/8" Precision Sealed Bearing,Snap-Ring is included.

The problem/issue is, this jackshaft is too short. He can only get 1 snap ring on. The other snap ring groove does NOT even come to the outside of the bearing.

MEASUREMENTS:

between jackshaft plates - 8 1/2"
outter edge of jackshaft plates -9"

The plates are NOT bent,twisted or tweaked. He does NOT want to use collars. So....any suggestions????

:thumbsup:

bonanza frames have two different sizes on the jack shaft tabs you need the long one or turn the bearings to the inside of the frame and run the lock collors on the inside

just to lyk that i found out the problem.

the problem is NOT the JS, i believe at some point in time, someone may have spread the rear frames out to accept an incorrect rim.

So, I am going to use a "c" clamp on the rear frames rails & attempt to get them back to where they should be.

need some advise/help

ok, here is my son's gear ratio set up:

Engine/clutch -12t (new Hilliards Extreme)
Jackshaft input -10t (new)
Jackshaft output - 18 (new)
Axle/rear sprocket 72 (new)

final gear ratio 3.33

The problem is, it is slow off the line & seems like it takes forever to get up to speed.
We was using the Briggs flathead that is pictured above. Mild upgrades,cam, carb reamed, intake & exhaust port cleaned & lightly polished.
On my son's 5 lap around the yard (1 acre) the new clutch was smokin (yes,it was pre-lubed before take off :thumbsup: ) & it still was NOT gettin up to speed it should be at.

I think I am going to remove the j.s. & gears & run direct from clutch to rear sprocket. Something just is NOT right....any suggestion/advise/help would be great. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
3.33 final drive is ridonkulous....As EE said, get rid of the 10t. I'd say you need to get it up around 5.50:1 - 6:1 if you wan the clutch to live. That's all realtive to rider weight, tire diameter, and riding terrain, but I think the clutch will be alot happier...:thumbsup:

You need to change the jack shaft input gear to about a 12,13, or14 and get rid of that10 you have on there.
ah,chit.... :doah: ... thanks EE & minibikin' :thumbsup:

if we swap out the j.s input to;
12t - final ratio = 4.00
13t - f.r. = 4.33
14t - f.r. = 4.67
16t - f.r = 5.33
18t - f.r = 6.00

or i can swap out the j.s. output to 11t = 5.45

The only spare gears we have are 11t, 12t & 14t. I have to do some gear swapping tonight & a test run Wednesday. Thanks alot EE & minibikin' :thumbsup:

Last edited:
ah,chit.... :doah: ... thanks EE & minibikin' :thumbsup:

if we swap out the j.s input to;
12t - final ratio = 4.00
13t - f.r. = 4.33
14t - f.r. = 4.67
16t - f.r = 5.33
18t - f.r = 6.00

or i can swap out the j.s. output to 11t = 5.45

The only spare gears we have are 11t, 12t & 14t. I have to do some gear swapping tonight & a test run Wednesday. Thanks alot EE & minibikin' :thumbsup:
I run my Bonanza with a Briggs 5hp at 4.67 to 1.00