Briggs 12.5HP tractor motor replacement?

joekd

My 15 yr old Briggs motor on my tractor is starting to smoke pretty badly and is leaking oil so I am thinking of looking into a replacement motor

It's a veritical shaft, electric start gas motor. Any suggestions for something that is a decent price?

joekd

Oil leak now made it to the point where I cant even start the motor, time to find a replacement or else just sell this tractor "as is"

zeeman

Try CL for used engines. There are usually some on ours. I have a 17.5 hp B/S for sale, but I'm pretty sure I'm too far away. A lot of 'disposable' riding mowers wear out long before the engine does.

joekd

Now I just need to find out which motors can interchange with this one

Currently has a 12.5 briggs I/C, vertical shaft of course

I think the biggest issue to be aware of is the PTO. You want it to be the same as the old one because of the pulley. Second area is the throttle hookup. When I was looking for my new motor I looked for the same model as the old one. Mine was a 28v707. You can go to Briggs and Strattons website and they have where you can see what the recommended replacement engine would be for you and go from there.

The guys from the Briggs & Stratton website referred me to their partner website for engines. The website is PartsNationwide. I spoke with Pete and he figured out what I needed and I got a replacement engine the next day. They are also a good source for replacement parts.