briggs 1977 #80212 3 hp with no spark

picked up a briggs 3 hp #80212 with no spark, no shock when turned over and holding wire, cleaned rust off fly wheel. have not cleand points yet, think coil is shot , condenser??? what next? any help would be good thanks

oldfatguy

more than likely it's the points. just take them out and file the contacts or give them a light touch on a bench grinder with a smooth grit wheel. Make sure that the plastic plunger part is good. I had an engine once with a bad one and it drove me nuts trying to get it to spark because the points weren't closing.

I convert mine to magnetron and never have to remove a flywheel again, easy and not terribly expensive. Got the last one for $15 delivered off Ebay

oldfatguy

check the wire coming from the coil to the condenser. Sometimes the insulation cracks on it causing it to ground out. Fix it with heat shrink tubing. Also check the connections on the condenser and make sure that they are not touching the block. I haven't seen a point ignition briggs yet that couldn't be made to get spark after cleaning up the parts. Are you sure that the points are clean and gaped right ? and that they open and close like they should ? sometimes that plastic plunger goes bad and won't work the points.

Item #290714547089 is a 3.5hp coil and has the tab for the kill switch and is $14.99 OBO with $9 shipping. I have a few but keep em for the same reason you need one. Your local mower shop will have one too most likely. Good luck:thumbsup:

No problem, I got a bunch of 2 to 3.5hp briggs and have gotten better at getting em going as time goes by but will not fool with points. I still have my high school small engine class book which is a B&S book, it really helps me with many tasks. I am building a world shaker of a 3hp but it will take time, I plan to see about having a cam welded and reground and do the eyebrows as well as milling the head myself with glass and sandpaper. I have an aluminum flywheel off a 3.5hp generator horizontal shaft engine which I never saw before and it's an exact replica of a steel one. Also a flojet carb will be used rather than the stock one. Should make good power.:thumbsup: