Briggs 3hp carb problem

I have a 3hp briggs that i just rebuilt the carb on and now i have a problem.The thing starts up just fine. But when i run it wide open the governor will not come down.The carb has an AIR-VANE GOVERNOR. I'am sure the linkage is right (i took a picture of it before i took it apart). Any ideas.......

While I dont endorse governer removal for clones,however I remove the air vane governer from all my old flatheads! It has never caused an issue with the briggs engines I have, I have four running examples and they run great! You'd have to go full throttle for some distance to over-rev that small an engine! That and they start and idle fine without them! I'm sure others will disagree but let the thread run it's course and sort through all the info and opinions, then do what you think is best!:thumbsup:

i would pull the recoil and look at the flaper it may have a crack in it if the plastic or mite be wore and sticking . but with the cover off flick the gov and see if you can tell where its binding up at .:hammer:

First,make sure everything is moving freely,gov spring too tight? Correct pull start housing with baffel plate inside.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

OK, Its all in the carb. Every thing moves freely until i start it. When i give it gas the gov. binds up (wide open). It won't start to move again till it cools off or unless i wiggle it a bit. ????????

al most sounds like you have a bent or sticky throttle shaft . check the shaft does it move free or have some bind in it . i would pull it and check to see if there is any junk in the bushings or any wear on the shaft .
it could be ceasing up on you . i have changed the shaft in a carb and it worked great then a few weeks latter i grabbed it and stuck tight . so bad that i had to bust the carb to get it out .