Briggs 5hp Flathead Intake Question

Here it is. A little nip and here and there and it will fit great. Will need to spend a little time getting the governor hooked back up, but I think it is doable.

It fits the carb and block just fine with out modification. To make it fit the bike, I just cut off the threaded bosses on the top. I will have to bend a custom governor rod to connect the stock governor with the carb in the new location. I have already mocked one up , now I just need ot bend one to the final shape.

So I got it all together and running. Had some problems with a return spring on the throttle. Trying to put more spring pressure on it ended up breaking the lever governor lever. For now I jsut propped the governor open all the way. seems to work OK for now. But the real issue I am having is keeping it running. It doesn't really want to idle real well or run very well. I opened up the idle mixture a few turn to just get it started. Any ideas of what would cause it to run so different with the new intake? What can i do to make it run better and start as good. I am not sure there is enough of a drop for good gravity feed. I need ot amke sure the bowl is filling correctly.

Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Have you pulled the plug to read what might be going on? I was wondering if the length and hard 90* might cause some puddling. Not that I'm anywhere near versed on such things; but rather contemplating mights and ifs.

To anyone looking to use one of these to mount a VM20/PZ22 sized slide carb, be forwarned; the body of the carb will contact the blower housing.

I got it running pretty good at least as good if not better than it was with the stock intake manifold.

It acted like it was not getting enough fuel. Seemed to start and run better with choke closed (both cold and hot motor). Did not want to rev much and had a really high idle. No amount of tweaking on the idle set screw nor the idle mixture screw really changed the way it ran. So I put 2 and 2 together came up with 5 and figured it must not be getting enough fuel in the bowl. Not enough change in altitude from the fuel outlet on the tank to the carb. I moved the tank above the frame instead of below the top tube and it runs great again.

Sometimes it is the simple things and I learned a long time ago to check the simple things first or maybe second / third in this case :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I got it running pretty good at least as good if not better than it was with the stock intake manifold.

It acted like it was not getting enough fuel. Seemed to start and run better with choke closed (both cold and hot motor). Did not want to rev much and had a really high idle. No amount of tweaking on the idle set screw nor the idle mixture screw really changed the way it ran. So I put 2 and 2 together came up with 5 and figured it must not be getting enough fuel in the bowl. Not enough change in altitude from the fuel outlet on the tank to the carb. I moved the tank above the frame instead of below the top tube and it runs great again.

Sometimes it is the simple things and I learned a long time ago to check the simple things first or maybe second / third in this case :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
It's what you suspected it to be, from reading your previous post, so I'd say you were right on top of it. Good deal!
I have to admit; as prevalent and well known as the KISS method is, 9 times out of 10 I'll choose to use the KICK method first. As in I could kick myself in the butt for not going with the KISS method to begin with. :p

Can we get a pic of the final product? I'd love to see some close ups of this setup. BTW, thanks for starting this thread and looking deeper into this intake. I seen that original pic a while back and never took the next step. You're the man!