Briggs ID needed

Curly

What model/HP Briggs is this? All I see is the sticker on the carb side of shroud and can't read it.

Runs, could run better with a carb cleaning.

Thats a Briggs 3.5 horse, ball bearing PTO.. Circa 1986.. :laugh:

I dunno.. You'd need the correct cover, which is missing to know the actual year.. The silver one on it is wrong.

The carburetor is modern enough to have a butterfly style choke, yet old enough to have adjustable fuel mixture. That weird choke lever and round air filter weren't made but for a few years as apposed to all the other models. About the coolest one and one of the best runners there is..

Pretty nice little motors.. :thumbsup:

gbones

im no expert like TRK, but there should be a number and a letter on the head and that should tell you what HP it is. isnt that correct TRK? like on my B&S, i have a 8B on the head, which is a 3hp. if it says 6 than its a 2-2.5hp, if i remember correctly:shrug:

Curly

I see a 8C....... What color or number should the cover have. I'll go dig thru the pile and see if it's out there. As I mention on another post this engine is from an estate of a gentleman who repaired small engines.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Yeah thats the Cubic Inch displacement of the motor. :thumbsup: You can tell it's a 3 or 3.5 by the flat steel cooling deflector screwed to the back of the block, accompanied with the larger carb and tank. The square thing makes it from 2 - 3.5.. The carb is only usually on the 3 horse stuff.. Most the 2 horses are older, like 1970's on down, and have smaller carbs and tanks..

What color or number should the cover have. I'll go dig thru the pile and see if it's out there. As I mention on another post this engine is from an estate of a gentleman who repaired small engines.

Thanks for the help.
:laugh: It doesn't really matter.. The one that is on it will work fine.

If you have access to 1/2 dozen of them laying around you'd be looking for (paint and petina ) matches the rest of the engine.. It'll look just about like the one on it, but match the rest of the motor better..

Then... The numbers, OH god.. :laugh: Uhhhh lets see

It's going to start out 80 (cubic inches) First two digits of the model are your CI displacement, why it's 80 and not 08 is a mystery to me but :shrug: It's not 80 CI :laugh:

Then ya have a horizontal crank shaft, so probably 0

Then ya have a ball bearing PTO so thats gonna be 3

Recoil start 2

Then type number is usually giberish and can't make heads or tails of it.. :laugh: So like ??????

Then your CODE I'm gonna call 87???? 8 something.. because it's probably around 1986 and the first two digits of the code are year it was made..

SO MY guess is gonna be like...

MODEL 80032 TYPE ?????? CODE 8721212

:mellow:

Heres the Secret Decorder Ring.. :laugh:

http://www.outdoordistributors.com/Briggs_And_Stratton/briggsmodelid.html

Lookk for one the same color, condition, sticker styles.. And look at the side of the shroud, about where the carburetor would be bolted to the block.. And your nubers will be running along the edge of the shroud..

Something in the ballpark of

MODEL 80032 TYPE ?????? CODE 8721212

:laugh: Look for color of paint, condition, and sticker style.. All matches the rest of the engine.. Then this will tell ya what to look for

Briggs and Stratton Model Identification

You have 8 cubic inch, horizontal crank, ball bearing splash mount, recoil start..

The the type doesn't equate to much.. ???
CODE is probably going to start like 86 (1986) something like that..