briggs mtd 5hp yard machine cam advance.

Well hi. I'm new. Any way lets get to it. Everyone knows how Briggs blows air out the carb right? Advance the cam a tooth. Way more compression. I will run it tomorrow and post results. I'll try to get a picture of my mower to tired though. I hope this is a new idea.

One problem I found last night is the piston would leak a buttload of compression past the rings and make it impossible to pull over. Will post results today.

I always read that a tooth is too much? But don't they make cams with adjustable gears, kinda like they make adjustable flywheels?
You could definitely use a degree wheel to advance the cam a few degrees then.

It blew up. Sparks flew and shook and smoken really bad. More compression though. Dyno cams are adjustable. 10 degrees is decent. The cam was plastic too. Whole dang thing. The reason it smoked is because it was old and free. I'll have to put the quantum back on. That motor has seen rpms for days. Its a briggs.

125ccCrazy

Well hi. I'm new. Any way lets get to it. Everyone knows how Briggs blows air out the carb right? Advance the cam a tooth. Way more compression. I will run it tomorrow and post results. I'll try to get a picture of my mower to tired though. I hope this is a new idea.
that's the compression release bump on the intake lobe.

65ShelbyClone

No, it is the compression release "bump" on the cam. By advancing the cam timing as much as you did, the compression release is activated too early to work, hence the apparent increase in compression.