Briggs Piston

I am just curious, I see on e-bay people selling pistons that say will fit 3.5 or 5 hp. engines, I always thought the 5hp piston was a monster compared to their smaller engines. Hence people use the 5hp. for racing. Am I correct in assuming they are full of :censure: here. Please advise......

Last edited:
Unless they are selling different sizes of pistons, no there isn't any way one piston will fit that range of engines, lol. :laugh: (UNLESS it was made of that crazy liquid metal the Terminator in T2 was made from? ;)

From paperwork in front of me I see that a 2HP Briggs is 2 3/8" bore, the 5HP is 2 9/16" bore, the bigger block 6HP is 2 3/4" and the 8HP is 3". Not as much of a difference than you might think....

The stroke of a 2HP is 1 1/2", the 5HP is 2 7/16", the 6HP is 2 3/8" (less than the 5HP!), the 8HP is 2 3/4", so greater spread there actually...

On a side note, I just parted out a small chain saw the other day and kept the cute widdle piston, just 1 1/2" bore!

Last edited:
Yeah, it wasn't 3.5HP when I first answered and it looked like it was stating a range (3-5HP)? :shrug: no biggie, just clarifying.....

The 5HP Briggs is an interesting engine as it is almost a "square engine" at .951 regarding the bore/stroke ratios and thus a nice compromise between RPM/HP and Torque. They will both rev pretty high AND pull a load. :thumbsup:

Last edited: