Budget welder?

I'm looking into buying a welder and I was wondering what you guys would recommend for working on these mini bikes. Also, what budget cutting torch would you recommend?

Go with the Lincoln Mig Welder I have had one for years and it works Great!!! Dont bother with running any gas with it just use the flux core wire. It runs off 110 and you can plug it in anywhere. I have never tried one of the Harbor Frieght ones but you seem to see them at yard sales and just about everywhere for sale cheap which leads me to think they are not that good????? Dont get me wrong I have many HF tools and you cant beat the price but sometimes you get what you pay for. If money is no problem The Miller is even better than the Lincoln. I was a welder for many years and am very happy with my Lincoln. As for the Cutting torch and gas welding I have always used Victor Not the cheapest though.

My opinion if you looking to economize and want to just use flux core for mig welding then just make 100% sure you have very clean and tight fitting joints as with a 110 volt machine they sometimes have penetration issues. And I say the Lincoln is the best bet. As for gas welding you will find lots of good used Victor out there and they are sold everywhere.
Steve :scooter:

look at a clarke 110 volt, i have one and there not a bad little welder . you can get them at menards i think Lowes may have them too . you wont weld bank vault steel with it but for thin stuff it holds its own . i would give the harbor fright a try if ya ketch them on sale there like a $100 .for the torch from what i have heard the ones at harbor are a victor compatible . there is vids on you tube about them . tractor supply has fire power they are a smith or victor (i cant rember now) that is rebranded

vette66_00

I did the real budget welder Harbor Freight it works ok and at the time I felt like it was doing good work... It finally took a crap and I ended up getting a Lincoln mig welder. The quality of bead on the Lincoln is 100% BETTER. Much better penetration and I don't find myself having to re-weld cracking parts. If you can afford GAS then go that route also its cleaner but not necessarily any stronger welding. Flux Core wire works well with the Lincoln and I found I do a little better bead with it but switching to GAS made life alot easier for clean up.

Also a side note make sure you purchase the anit stick spray for the head it will also save you time cleaning slag from your tips.

Welder

It depends what your budget is, but I bought a Lincoln 180, it runs on 240V. It welds anything from paper thin, to about 3/8" safely. Haven't had any problems!

Lincoln or Miller or if you can find a Snap On FM140A, but those are usually expensive, unless you go used. Forget the harbor freight ones, they suck and the Clarke welders arent worth it either, for what you spend on a clark welder spend a bit more and get a Miller or a Lincoln. The Clarks work ok, but they arent durable, they wont last very long.

If you end up finding a FM140A, the nice thing about those is they are the only 110 welder I know of that is 100% duty cycle even at full power, no other 110 welder has a 100% duty cycle. The FM140A also has a plug in on the side, inside the cover where the spool of wire is for a optional tig setup that you can buy seperately incase you ever decide to get involved in TIG welding.

Some of the Century welders are ok too, infact I think Lincoln owns them now. Hobarts are decent too, they are made by Miller, its their cheaper line of welders.

I have a Lincoln Electric Arc welder and I love it! I haven't tried to weld anything bigger than 1" tubing or 1/4" plate but from what I have done It works really well.

If you end up finding a FM140A, the nice thing about those is they are the only 110 welder I know of that is 100% duty cycle even at full power, no other 110 welder has a 100% duty cycle.
That's the difference between Lowes and the other retailers and a welding supply house. Like a Lincoln 140 at Lowes or H.D is a 140T (tap) and a welding house will have the 140C (constant)
I don't really know what difference it makes? Other then about +$100.00 in cost. But the fellow at my local AirGas store explained it to me. "And I still don't know":laugh: But it sounded good so I bought it.
I just replaced a MAC I bought around 1990, I went with the Lincoln 140C for here at home. It seems fine.
I've never used the flux core wire. I've always used gas.:scooter::scooter:

Welding with my Lincoln SP250 computerized welder is like putting an old pair of shoes , really comfortable and easy to use , great smooth welds ,very nice stable 220v wire feed welder . Fat Boy

That's the difference between Lowes and the other retailers and a welding supply house. Like a Lincoln 140 at Lowes or H.D is a 140T (tap) and a welding house will have the 140C (constant)
I don't really know what difference it makes? Other then about +$100.00 in cost. But the fellow at my local AirGas store explained it to me. "And I still don't know":laugh: But it sounded good so I bought it.
I just replaced a MAC I bought around 1990, I went with the Lincoln 140C for here at home. It seems fine.
I've never used the flux core wire. I've always used gas.:scooter::scooter:
The Lincoln 140C at 90 amps is 20% duty cycle, the Lincoln 140, the SP-140T is also 20% duty cycle at 90 amps, same for the Home Depot 140hd model, 20%. Immagine what the duty cycle is at 140 amps, probably at 5% or less, so if you weld say a nice 1/4 plate or bigger and your at your maximum setting it wont weld very long before it starts welding like crap or shuts off, depending on what welder you have. As far as the differences between all the lincold 140 welders is amount of heat settings, probably wire speed adjustments and so on, cheaper ones have less and more expensive ones have more adjustment. Also another difference may be if the torch is live when you hit the trigger or its constantly live, the harbor freight welders are constantly live im sure and the better lincolns or Millers are probably only when trigger is on.

Look at these specs on the FM140A FM140A, Welder, MIG, 140 amp this is a bad ass 140 amp welder, 100% duty cycle at 140 amps or at highest setting, there are alot of 220 welders that arent even 100% duty cycle at max either. If someone can pic up a used one like this I can back up how great this welder is, I used to own one, and I regret ever selling it. Welds better than alot of 220 welders I have used over the years and its only a 110.

So I guess anyone has to ask themselves what are they going to weld and if your going to weld at higher settings for thicker stuff make sure you buy a welder with the highest duty cycle possible, otherwise it will start welding like crap as soon as it gets hot, or even shut down till it cools down, depending on welder.

Oldsalt

It is not a wise idea, in my most humble opinion, to buy a MIG, ether flux core or gas, if you don't have an arc welder. Even if you own all the high zoot welding apparatus you'll still need an arc welder. With the wire feed you'll only be able to weld mild steel unless you wish to dump a lot more loot to weld cast iron, stainless steel, hard face, brass rod and some others. A really good cracker box arc welder, 240V. single phase, that will weld all thicknesses of metal will be a LOT cheaper than even the cut rate wire feed. Want to weld sone stainless steel or cast iron? Pick up a few sticks of arc rod of the proper type and go after it.

I have a MIG, a TIG, an arc welder and a plasma cutter. Reciently I purchased the special gas bottle to run stainless steel with the MIG. Not a cheap item and I'll not even mention what the roll of stainless steel wire cost. It cost more than a good 240V. single phase arc welder would cost! I really can't justify buying that stuff because I have the arc welder that will do the same job.

With the huge hunk of capitol saved by buying an arc welder you'll have a good start on an axy/acet. outfit.

When you get the money, at some future time, to buy the MIG buy a good one. But you'll still like your little arc welder hiding under the bench.