California vs. Non-California Predator Engines

JustG

Out of curiosity, are there any major differences between a California version of the HF engine vs. the non-California version? I'd assume it couldn't be much more than a change to the muffler and intake?

CarPlayLB

nope...more than that! The Ca engines run very lean to keep emissions down. Gotta keep the governor happy! After you remove all of it and do some mods, then they are the same! It's all in the carb. Same exhaust.

the california model has the epa carb and exaust , take off throw away. get the governor out , billit rod and flywheel , you wont notice any difference. i have both models . currently using the ca block with the rtb-02 head , it has bigger valves than the rtc 6 , the rtb-02 comes stock with 10.5lbs. valve springs , upgraded retainers and keepers {but they suck} get billit keepers , the aluminum ones they use on racecars. if you build a rtc 6 and a rtb 02 with the same parts , the rbt-02 will out perform the rtc 6 , bigger intake and exaust valves.

Twid

Go American $120 predator con rod $65 flywheel $115 + whatever parts you want to throw at it. Put the money back in our pockets support the USA!

Twid

Buy Chinese to support America?
What I was tying to say is buy American instead of dropping $300-$400 into a $120 Chinese motor when you can pick up a 5hp Briggs of C-list for around $50 give or take. I just picked up a Briggs animal running on alcohol for $100 and it came with about 4gal of fuel and a box of parts. I made the mistake of puttin money into a predator once and will never do it again.

the california model has the epa carb and exaust , take off throw away. get the governor out , billit rod and flywheel , you wont notice any difference. i have both models . currently using the ca block with the rtb-02 head , it has bigger valves than the rtc 6 , the rtb-02 comes stock with 10.5lbs. valve springs , upgraded retainers and keepers {but they suck} get billit keepers , the aluminum ones they use on racecars. if you build a rtc 6 and a rtb 02 with the same parts , the rbt-02 will out perform the rtc 6 , bigger intake and exaust valves.
What size are the valves in the rtb02? I have the rtc6 with 27mm intake and 25mm exhaust, which is larger than the previous valves. It also has the split keepers and automotive retainers with 5mm stems.

Maybe he means it comes with 5.5mm valve stems not the 5mm valve stems?

For what it's worth... I got 2 Champion 208cc motors locally for $120.00 each. New at the store...
They come with flat tops, 27/25 valves, 5.5mm stems, and 18cc heads... Cheap stamped junk rockers though!!!
Throw in a .020. Arc Rod, and get .010 pop up, perfect for a .040 gasket, slight mill on the head, and a quick P&P on the head, these babies are ready to rock...