can't get this greyhound running correctly.

i got this engine on a bike this last summer. the governor was bypassed with after market throttle linkage. I'm trying to return it to factory. i just can't get it to run right. as of now, it starts just fine with the choke on. it will idle to warm up and even rev just fine with choke on. when i try to turn the choke off, it will bog down and die. i tried moving the gov arm back which made things worse. tried two different sized linkage arms. put an extra spring on the gov arm to make sure it is being pulled back all the way. I'm just not sure what the problem is. any help would be greatly appreciated. i added some pics for reference.

IMG_0918.JPG
IMG_0917.JPG
IMG_0916.JPG

Last edited:

trinik7597

looks like you have it hookedup right !! ditch that extra spring . your problem is not the gov . if you run fine choked but not open you are starving for fuel . pull the carb and clean it you should be good

trinik7597

Pull the bowl unscrew the jet . etube will fall out with a little tap clean them both with carb cleaner . check the float needle while you are in there . clean the bowl . put it back together . 10 mins u should be good

sure enough, i pull the carb today and find it loaded with varnish gunk. carb cleaned it really well, blew it out really well, then put it all back together. started on the first pull and purred like my wife watching the twilight movies. couldn't let it run long as i move my lab in to the basement during winter months. but tomorrow, ill take it outside and let it run for a good stretch of time.