Central California Mini Bike Drags.........

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Actually short drags like that are fun. My Taco is set up for quick take off and it tops out early.
Yeah but you have a stock motor. With a stock motor and 12/60, or 12/72 is pretty fun only going 300 feet.

But when you have from 15-20hp with the same gearing it's really hard to ride it. We normally run 16/60, and 17/60 gearing and we take off just like you guys do with 12/60 gering.

Actually:

1) My Taco is far from stock. The cam in it sounds more radical than anything I've ever heard on any videos. It sounds more like a drag car. Haven't heard any minibikes yet that sound like a drag car.

And it's gearing is more like a 9.06 by using different jackshaft gears. That 12 into 60 is a 5 to 1 ratio.

My Taco was slug with the 12 into 60 gearing that it came with when I first got it. Changing the ratio made it a rocket on first take off.

I tried running higher gearing in the 7 to 1 range, but if you mere cruising along at about 40MPH and cracked the throttle, it would stand up and get scary real fast.

Last edited:
And for the record

The 12 into 60 and 72 ratios aren't where it's a for me. They are nice for riding down to my buddy down the street's house, but I like quick acceleration in short distances. I usually try to set my bikes up with about an 8.5 - 1 ratio but it requires a jackshaft. We have some 100ft drags and stuff. It's about the right ratio on my 1/10 mile track too for getting off the corners quick and being a low enough gear to be wound up at the end of the straights.

If I bring a Minibike out there it will most likely be for show. The Taco needs work to run again and I probably won't have the time to do it.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Well I hope you have a real good time, and try and get some video.
The stuf we run is crazy loud and super modified, you have to actually see it in person to really get the feel of it. Just looking at a video is nothing compared to how things really looks and sound.

Well I hope you have a real good time, and try and get some video.
The stuf we run is crazy loud and super modified, you have to actually see it in person to really get the feel of it. Just looking at a video is nothing compared to how things really looks and sound.
Here's mine: Not sure what's on the inside but it's supposed to be done right and costed about $1200 to get the engine done about 8 years ago. I figured that the video must take away some of the sound. And yes this stuff is way louder and intense than can be described in person. I need to get mine fired back up, but at this point the rings are stuck to the cylinders and I haven't felt like messing with it for several years. The last time they stuck like that my buddy used an extension or something to knock it loose.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Take the spark plug out and spray WD-40 in the cylinder. spray a lot and let it sit for a day or two. Then spin it over with a wrench. Your gonna have to take the pull start off to spin it.

It's actually been sitting with WD40 for years now LOL

Put some in several times. Just haven't took the time to mess with it. Then I would have to go buy some methanol, and not sure if I still have any of the special oil or not..

Just an expensive and time consuming thing to do for the little bit of time I'd use it. It drinks methanol like nothing. I'm sure you know that.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
It's actually been sitting with WD40 for years now LOL

Put some in several times. Just haven't took the time to mess with it. Then I would have to go buy some methanol, and not sure if I still have any of the special oil or not..

Just an expensive and time consuming thing to do for the little bit of time I'd use it. It drinks methanol like nothing. I'm sure you know that.
Yep, I know all about it. I had plenty of modified flatheads. I don't have any right now, but I still do plenty work on them.

Hi all, not new here, just never have posted. I am really looking forward to this event. The big draw to me is the fact that it's for vintage style minibikes, pull start, good ole lawn mower engines. I have 2 tacos and a big bear scrambler that fit this criteria. Finally I have a venue to participate in some good ole fun for all racing action. Am I going to try to wring every last HP out of my motors, no, I just want to make a few laps, have some fun and laughs. My point is, if all of us minibikers check our egos, and our methonal at the front gate, maybe we can all have a day to remember fun wise, and when it's all said and done, we won't be able to tell the winners from the also rans. Monday we can return our motors to our edgers and mowers, and every time we do the lawn we can relive our day on the track. Thank you

My point is, if all of us minibikers check our egos, and our methonal at the front gate, maybe we can all have a day to remember fun wise, and when it's all said and done, we won't be able to tell the winners from the also rans.
that pretty much defeats the purpose of racing and modding a motor. what fun is a bunch of stock motor bikes running against each other?

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
that pretty much defeats the purpose of racing and modding a motor. what fun is a bunch of stock motor bikes running against each other?
I say the same
It also leaves out a lot of bikes if all the bikes have to be vintage only. But I won't be able to make it so I will just have to wait to see video of it.

Never said vintage only, I said vintage STYLE. I would just like to commend Toymaker,(Rocky), for busting his a$$ the last few months in order to make this event happen. This is going to be a kick a$$ event. I am just thrilled to be able to attend and the fact that I can participate in some of it is icing on the cake for me. No matter how it all shakes out. Thanks, Bob

Bob, Thanks for your support. We had our event meeting today and it was decided that no participants under the age of 18 will be allowed. I am sorry for getting anyone under 18 rev'd up. Rocky