Centrifugal Clutch

does anybody know the difference between a max torque clutch and a centrifugal clutch? Also do you know if you have to oil a centrifugal clutch like you do a max torque clutch?

all centrifugal clutches have some type of springs in them, its to return the shoes when not under power, so that the clutch disengages

They are all also automatic, meaning no shifting.

Most of them all need to have the bushing LIGHTLY oiled, some of the really high end racing clutches, are wet clutches and have a "Shell" around them that contains a bath of oil.

The maxtourge and comet centrifugal clutches are a round drum, with shoes and springs inside, and a sprocket on the back, these can be mounted sprocket towards engine or away from the engine.

Some high end race clutches use plates, and different springs to run and can only spin one way.

To answer your original questions, your max torque is a variation of the centrifugal clutch
=)

Motra

Max Torque is a company that builds centrifugal clutches, it's a brand name. There are many different designs of centrifugal clutches but I believe they all have some sort of springs.

thats the normal way to set up, max torque uses an oilite bushing, so you shouldn't have to oil it soon, is the clutch binding and causing trouble?

The way to oil it is somewhat difficult (if done properly) you dont wanna dump motor oil on it, and if you use too much, the clutch will smoke and not work at all,

Is the clutch new, old? if old how old? what is its condition

Last edited:
Did you attempt to oil it? if so you may of used too much,

Most of the time its excess oil just burning of the clutch, if it was really bad, it could be the shoes, but i dont think you have too much to worry about it,

is it an older clutch?

We ran a dragon skin clutch that did that too us one day,

Did you do any "burn-outs" or lots of braking? this can cause the clutch to heat up and burn grease,oil, paint or dirt off of it

Anytime you "load up" the clutch, it will spin the shoes against the drum, and make alot of friction, and that can cause it to smoke

(Load up is used to describe hitting the throttle, and putting a large load on the bike, brake torquing, burnouts, and running it hard)

Not a problem, just keep an eye on it like you said, if its excessively smoking without running it really hard, shoot me a pm and ill try to help you out,

ya im sure it probrobly just got hot from too much load going up a hill or bogging it down or something. Did you greese it before you put it on when new? I always do sometimes there skimpy from the factory.

If the bronze oilite bearing is completly dry, add some grease to it, be careful not to get it on the shoes,

I have ran the hell out of my max tourqes and never had a problem with the bearings from the factor, But that may be my luck, and some may need it.

it's probably "smoking" hot...........or did you get a little water on it?

put a drop of oil on the bushing about once a week

Last edited: