Chain too short!

Man I feel like a idiot! I tried shortening the chain today. Our chain breaker is missing the pin to push the chain pin through. So I shortened it with a grinder. It had been a long time since I did this and forgot to make sure the right link could hook up with the other end. So I cut it too short! Is there anyway to add more links? Since I used a grinder to cut off the links I cant just pick em off the floor and add some more.
Any way to fix this or should I just buy a new chain?
Where do you guys find your chain locally? I am pretty sure home depot wouldn't have 35 chain.

If you guys are going to mess with mini's,,, you might as well get a chain tool and have some spare chain laying around.

Why would you cut chain links :doah: :eek:ut: :censure:

Get one of these , they are cheap, VERY easy to use since it holds and lines up the chain for you and you can relink and delink all you want without having to use master links which can fail.

If you guys are going to mess with mini's,,, you might as well get a chain tool and have some spare chain laying around.

Why would you cut chain links :doah: :eek:ut: :censure:

Get one of these , they are cheap, VERY easy to use since it holds and lines up the chain for you and you can relink and delink all you want without having to use master links which can fail.

Maybe re-reading my initial post might shed some light.:confused:
That does look like a nice tool. But I didn't want to wait a week for it to arrive in the mail.
condescension is not appreciated.

Last edited:
Sorry for the "condescension" but I think you need some tuff love.

I have the feeling that you will get your 4 master links , "RIG" it together and forget about a chain tool, chain or anything else until you need something AGAIN,,,RIGHT NOW!

Same types live check to check to pay the rent or get his quart of malt liquor . ROTFLMAO!

Being friggin prepared or patient and doing it right must be an "old school thing". :thefinger:

BTW, I did read your starter thread and smiled at the first sentence. LOL! :thefinger:

Can't we all just take the ribbing? Sheesh! :eek:ut:

GTO where did you get that tool at?Also does it roll the pins back over you say don't have to use master links?:confused::confused:
The tools are all over the net but heres one place. Main - BMI Karts and Supplies - Home

Each tool is for one size chain but thats why it holds the chain and lines up so easy when removing/replacing links or pins. Chains are just a bunch of links that are removable by the pins and it's REAL easy with this tool, just make sure you don't let the pin come all the way out of the end side of the chain or it will be tougher starting the chain pin/roller back in. I do a lot of chain and it's one of the best tools in the drawer.:thumbsup:

Oooops BMI won't direct link so punch in chain tool

Last edited:
I agree 100% with GTO. Be like a boy scout go out prepared. I would not invest time and money going out to ride and have my fun times ruined by not having a repair solution in hand.
I have sold Thousands of master links and many thousands of feet of chain. Proper alignment and lubrication and adjustment will keep chain in tact. I use a universal breaker that fits all sizes of chain but the one GTO is showing is a nice compact breaker and should fit in your tool box along with a few parts like throttle cable parts a spare chain, spark plug.
Just information that may keep the good times rolling along and you may even be able to help another rider if you are of the sharing nature.
Steve :scooter:

I don't understand. I never once said I didn't know how to do it.I just didnt have the perfect tool to do it. And as for being a boy scout I achieved the life rank. Being a boy scout also means being able to think and make do not just rely on having the exact tool for the job.
I never once said GTO was wrong just that he goes about it the wrong way. I don't need someone telling me they think I did something wrong when I already knew that. IF you think I am too sensitive maybe you are just insensitive?

I went to home depot lowes CAL ranch and IFA country store and the john deere tractor shop. John Deere had it but wanted almost 6 bux a foot!
hmm maybe online is the way to go.

as for being a boy scout I achieved the life rank. Being a boy scout also means being able to think and make do not just rely on having the exact tool for the job.

I went to home depot lowes CAL ranch and IFA country store and the john deere tractor shop. John Deere had it but wanted almost 6 bux a foot!
hmm maybe online is the way to go.
So did you "think and make do"? Or pay $6 a foot. :thefinger: Maybe you hand forged some chain in the back yard today? :doah:

You can get 10 feet for $13 if thought ahead of time. :wink:

Do you talk to people you meet face to face like that?
What is it that bugs you so much about the fact that I cut my chain too short?
People who are overly critical of others are usually suffering from an inferiority complex. Or just really insecure and lack confidence.
Instead of posting sarcastic rude comments why don't you post all the awesome stuff you do to show us just how great you are at everything.

Do you talk to people you meet face to face like that?
What is it that bugs you so much about the fact that I cut my chain too short?
People who are overly critical of others are usually suffering from an inferiority complex. Or just really insecure and lack confidence.
Instead of posting sarcastic rude comments why don't you post all the awesome stuff you do to show us just how great you are at everything.
It was never about "cutting" ( :doah: ) your chain to short.....Yes I do talk to people like that face to face every day, I like to rib and get ribbed back but I guess SOME PEOPLE are just to touchy! I'm insecure? :doah:

Think about the chain tool and what Steve said. :thumbsup:

i've got one of those chain tools like GTO posted and it works great.

Frank Bullitt, you are too sensitive. there was nothing wrong with what GTO said.

On a lighter note if you want bearings , chain shafting, and bushings, key way stock and sprockets for jack shafts I always go to a good bearing house like McGuire Bearing they have one in Salt Lake ,Seattle ,Tacoma a total of 9 branches they offer good prices and machine shop work at good prices. Hardware stores are hit and miss and the tractor stores are model pacific. Frank you have a lot to offer in information as does GTO so take it like it was given with a little twist but not meant to be harmful.
Steve :scooter: