Cheap Modifications

Hey I am wondering what are some cheap modifications i can do to my 6.5hp motor.

Right now i have remove the governor and that's about it..

I am in the process of welding together a pipe for it. But other then that i am wondering what should i do next?

I also know air filters are cheap, and so are valve springs.
Edit/Delete Message

Now that the governer is out do everything.....

You would have been better off improving the intake and exhaust and adding a 14cc head.

Just those three things will perj up a clone plenty for cheap.

Now however you need to spend money, without a governer anything you do to improve the engine will require billet parts because you have no RPM limit

Now that the governer is out do everything.....

You would have been better off improving the intake and exhaust and adding a 14cc head.

Just those three things will perj up a clone plenty for cheap.

Now however you need to spend money, without a governer anything you do to improve the engine will require billet parts because you have no RPM limit
I am making a custom exhaust for it. And i will probably upgrade or rejet the carb.

Yeah i know but without the governor it is 100x better because the governor was making me loose alot of RPM

Kenny1

There is no need for billet anything until you start making some real rpm's. I run several clone motors without governors and have never used anything billet in them. So long as you use even just a little bit of common sense you will be fine. A few things you may want to do for a little more power. Advance the timing. It's free and easy. Cut the fan while it's off. Believe it or not it is very simple to do a mild port job on the head. Just clean it up a bit. The 18lb. valve springs and a set of 1.3:1 rockers are a great upgrade with the governor removed. These are all little things that really add up and you don't have to wrap the piss out of it to use the power.

There is no need for billet anything until you start making some real rpm's. I run several clone motors without governors and have never used anything billet in them. So long as you use even just a little bit of common sense you will be fine. A few things you may want to do for a little more power. Advance the timing. It's free and easy. Cut the fan while it's off. Believe it or not it is very simple to do a mild port job on the head. Just clean it up a bit. The 18lb. valve springs and a set of 1.3:1 rockers are a great upgrade with the governor removed. These are all little things that really add up and you don't have to wrap the piss out of it to use the power.
Thats what i thought about the billet things. Im not a dummy and just going to REV the engine till i cant anymore.. LOl But anyways.

When you say cut the fan.. Do you mean the flywheel blades? Because i was reading it is not good to lighten the stock flywheel.

But i am going to google and see how to advance the timing and i will most likely get the 18lb valve springs

About the timing key..
Will i notice anything if i do that? I am also wondering should i file it down till i get 8 degree?

Kenny1

Cutting the fan is just removing everyother blade off the plastic fan. Less blades means less wind resistance. The timing key is easy. Scribe a line on the key where it is sticking up past the crank. On the left hand side. Take it out and do your filing. Every 0.006" you take off is 1 degree. I do 8 on mine and it works great. When putting it back in just make sure that you slide the flywheel on and turn it clockwise up against the key. I take a large paperclip and slide it in on the right side of the key to make sure the flywheel doesnt turn back. Put the nut back on the flywheel and your good to go.

Cutting the fan is just removing everyother blade off the plastic fan. Less blades means less wind resistance. The timing key is easy. Scribe a line on the key where it is sticking up past the crank. On the left hand side. Take it out and do your filing. Every 0.006" you take off is 1 degree. I do 8 on mine and it works great. When putting it back in just make sure that you slide the flywheel on and turn it clockwise up against the key. I take a large paperclip and slide it in on the right side of the key to make sure the flywheel doesnt turn back. Put the nut back on the flywheel and your good to go.
I heard removing the fins on a stock flywheel is bad. Because the engines can explode? Is that true though? Because i was thinking about removeing the fins on the flywheel because i know how to do it. People say if its not balanced it can explode and stuff..

But i am going to do the timing key thing for sure. It sounds easy:smile: What will that help though?

olajoe808....a buddy and I get together a couple Sundays a month and do some playing in the hood. Know where Iliff and Buckley is? Hit me up if you wanna come hang sometime. We just tinker with the toys and have a little fun.

Bighome. The fan is just a plastic piece that is separate from the flywheel. It sits up against it but has nothing to do with the integrity of the flywheel. It's strictly there for cooling purposes. Use a pair of dykes and just snip the blades off. Everyother that is. It is just very light plastic. It doesnt affect the balance of the engine.

Bighome. The fan is just a plastic piece that is separate from the flywheel. It sits up against it but has nothing to do with the integrity of the flywheel. It's strictly there for cooling purposes. Use a pair of dykes and just snip the blades off. Everyother that is. It is just very light plastic. It doesnt affect the balance of the engine.
Yeah i know how to do it :) It just on this other forum people where like dont mess with the flywheel.. Get a billet lighten one and stuff..

I am just going to do it :D Because i have done it on every 2 stroke motor i had and they all lasted :)

But just doing those 2 modifications i should notice some differences?
The Timing key and Lighten the flywheel..

Is'nt the fan rotating? If you simply snip every other fin with side cutters you'll get some vibration I'd think, and when you cut plastic like that it cracks more times than not! I would never advise anyone to do this!:no:

Is'nt the fan rotating? If you simply snip every other fin with side cutters you'll get some vibration I'd think, and when you cut plastic like that it cracks more times than not! I would never advise anyone to do this!:no:
I have two engines.. Well one engine is for parts and they have already lighten the stock flywheel. So i can just swap the flywheels..

Yeah i know how to do it :) It just on this other forum people where like dont mess with the flywheel.. Get a billet lighten one and stuff..

I am just going to do it :D Because i have done it on every 2 stroke motor i had and they all lasted :)

But just doing those 2 modifications i should notice some differences?
The Timing key and Lighten the flywheel..
And BHD you're not listening to the members who build these clones to crazy HP levels and told you not to try to lighten the flywheel, the hard way is not the way to learn! And advancing the timing will reqire you to pull the flywheel anyway, so why not spend the $100 for a billet unit and never have to worry? Do it right or leave it alone! Swapping a compromised flywheel into your engine just is not safe. I hope you dont hurt yourself or someone else if the flywheel comes apart!:eek:ut:

And BHD you're not listening to the members who build these clones to crazy HP levels and told you not to try to lighten the flywheel, the hard way is not the way to learn! And advancing the timing will reqire you to pull the flywheel anyway, so why not spend the $100 for a billet unit and never have to worry? Do it right or leave it alone! Swapping a compromised flywheel into your engine just is not safe. I hope you dont hurt yourself or someone else if the flywheel comes apart!:eek:ut:
Yeah im going to leave it alone. That is why i kept asking "Kenny1" if it was really a good idea..

Kenny and Bighomedog11

I have been doing things with karts and engines for close to 25 years now. And in that time I have spread some metal and oil on a few tracks and dirt roads. I'v picked bits of engine off the road ( in the days when we ran Macs you kept the ignition the only part that would generaly be serviceable ) and I have picked pieces of engine out of my hand.

I have done things I am proud of and things that were stupid ( my dear old retired dad with the pants up to his arm pits and cheeze grader fadora could tell you some stories ). But in time I started to listen to the old man with his old man tricks from the 50s and low and behold I spread less metal around.....

These clones are a completely different animal however. There is no significant quality control and no two engines off the line are within a Honda or even consistent with one another. I have seem the junk brands look almost like a Honda inside and I have one realy good yellow clone here that has a case defect that could bring a tear to even a Chinese a foundry man's eye.
You screw around with heavy valve springs, stock rods and Chinese iron and you are playing with fire. If you can't make a governer work for you and tune a carb then all I can say is maybe you should consider another hobby or spend a few dollars more and get a Honda, Briggs or Tech that starts better quality material. Because your going to make mistakes and the results can be frightening. I have all kinds of clones here since I was forst exposed to these engines a couple of years ago and everyone of them shows me the potential and perils of doing things on the cheap.

Final thought on advice.....
Those who need it often fail to listen, those who listen often fail to need it.

Thanks guys for all the GREAT help! I am learning still about 4 strokes.. I am a pro with 2 strokes but 4 strokes it a whole nothing world. But anyways i am reading i should just go with billet parts sense i removed the governor sense my motor will rev at so high RPM's