Close call for Mr. Winkles!

Behind my house is a wetlands preservation site. At any given time there's 8-12 feral cats calling it their home. It seems to be a favorite spot to abandon your no longer wanted cat.:hammer: There's also deer, turkey, fox, fisher cats, skunks, possums, squirrels, groundhogs, and COYOTE. I've been taking care of the cats as best I can for years, especially in the winter. They all have that survivor spirit and are fending for themselves due to no fault of their own so I feel both obligated and privileged to help them when I can. Mr. Winkles in particular has become my buddy pal.
I built him a cool little insulated house out of a double walled Briggs and Stratton box with straw bedding on my back porch 8 ft. above where he was born.
He is the only feral cat that has allowed me to touch him. He visits often coming in the back door at 4 AM for some roasted chicken and some petting. Because of my daily interaction over the years with all of them, most have no problem being within a few inches of me, but that's as close as it gets. They will not allow you to touch them EVER. Mr. Winkles is the exception. He was born last April under my porch along with 2 siblings who did not make it. Here he is under my porch with one of his siblings.
Mr. Winkles mother {Popcorn} is a Siamese mix and I've been helping her since she was born.
Mr. Winkles & Popcorn.
The next photo is Popcorn's brother {Moo Cow Kitty}.
Sadly, he was attacked a few months ago by a coyote.
He made it back to my yard but unfortunately his wounds were too bad and he had to be put down. He was another favorite. He would sit quietly for hours just feet away and watch me work on the mini bike's in the back yard all the time. Definitely miss him being around. Which brings me to Mr. Winkles close call yesterday...I notice Mr. Winkles and Fluffinator {Popcorn's sister} playing on the paths in my back yard I shoveled out for them. You'll notice in the 1st video @ .008 sec. in, Fluffinator
runs to the end of the path, looks to the right, sees something, then quickly runs straight to my back porch passing by Mr. Winkles in the process. Mr. Winkles appears to have no idea that a coyote is approaching and neither did I! At .020 sec. look to the top right, you'll see the coyote approaching. I did not see it yet. Mr. Winkles then walks 10 ft. towards me {away from the coyote} but with his back turned and that's when I spot the coyote at the end of the trail less than 15 ft. away from Mr. Winkles! I drop the camera, and haul as$ out my back door scaring away the coyote before he had Mr. Winkles for lunch.:eek: Mr. Winkles was oblivious! If he had not walked that 10 ft. he would have had a BIG problem. The 2nd video begins when I get back in the house and am able to catch the coyote trotting off. Look in the center of the screen. Mr. Winkles escaped, but the fact is... The coyote will be back!! :doah: Videos are here... MW1 - YouTube MW2 - YouTube

Last edited:

buckeye

Way to go Doug. We have a couple that decided our yard is their home. Can't get within ten foot of them but, they are harmless and have done well living on their own. Helps that my wife and I give them some real treats for their eating enjoyment.
Maybe one day we will get to pet them one day.:thumbsup:

I lost 3 cats in less than 6 months to coyotes a few years ago, haven't had that problem since. Rabbit populations cycle up and down. When rabbits are scarce, cats start coming up missing.A couple of mine were nailed 10 feet from the back door at night. I'd hear a cat scream once, and the next day one would be missing. My favorite cat now was a ferrel kitten, but I tamed him and now he follows me better than my dogs. Around here a coyote permit is whichever gun you can get to the quickest.:laugh:

Thats really great Doug. I fed a bucnch of feral cats for about 20 years. I fiinally started trapping them and getting them fixed and release. Like yourself, most wouldn't get any where near me. There was this one cat after about 6 years that let me touch her. After a few more years I brought her home. She became the most loving cat. One day she came in the house and never wanted to go back outside again. She lived to 23 years old.

I would catch the kittens when they was about 4 or 5 weeks old. Clean them up and find homes for them. Took me years but it is finally over. I think at one time there was over 20 cats.

WrenchDad

I am not a huge cat fan, I tolerate them and have helped more than my share that people dropped off at the edge of my property. I do commend you for trying to help but also not forcing yourself on the natural process. That Coyote (however bad the end result is ) is just trying to survive also and the cats are just easy pickings. It's unfortunate that their beauty (the coyote ) cant be appreciated without the accompanied destruction they can cause.

Good save on Mr. Winkles and good luck in the future.

It's unfortunate that their beauty (the coyote ) cant be appreciated without the accompanied destruction they can cause.
The coyotes are prolific here. You can hear them every night and see a lot of sign of their passing.

Very few people own cats, and several people have lost smaller dogs to them in their yards. The coyotes easily jump the five foot block walls to get at the pets.

They do sound pretty at night though.

I got something for them coyotes starts with a 2 and ends with a 2 and I would be more then happy to help out, see I'm kind of a cat person. :thumbsup:

WrenchDad

The coyotes are prolific here. You can hear them every night and see a lot of sign of their passing.

Very few people own cats, and several people have lost smaller dogs to them in their yards. The coyotes easily jump the five foot block walls to get at the pets.

We have trouble with them here in Pa. also. (mostly nuisance sightings)but in a pack they will run down small deer. We actually have an open hunting season on them. I don't hunt them but many do. I just wish they could co-exist with other species with out causing domestic problems.

We have trouble with them here in Pa. also. (mostly nuisance sightings)but in a pack they will run down small deer. We actually have an open hunting season on them. I don't hunt them but many do. I just wish they could co-exist with other species with out causing domestic problems.
I hear that. I don't know about local, but a guy I knew in Utah would hunt them as a hobby and get $25 per coyote iirc.

They're consummate scavangers. Everyone leaves their trash out prior to pick up, and they don't disturb it, which is weird.

Thanks for helping out the cats !

Thought I lived close to civilization...but found so do the COYOTES..our lot backs up to woods that are probably 30 to 50 acres..with sub divisions, and a fast two lane road boxing these acres in.

Within that box, developers just cleared a 10 or 12 acre site for new house development... and since then, I hear the coyote packs almost daily...seems they've been pushed even closer...you let a siren go down the road...it lights them up...you'll hear a close pack...then you'll hear another pack farther away

Statistics of lifespan are not good for outdoor cats, but ending up with multiple cats (3 now...one of which adopted us) we've found out doors is the only way). We too have helped cats who have 'adopted' us, and we'd love to have a place to safely keep them ...as sadly and sickiningly we've literally lost 6 cats in the 5 or 6 years we've lived here....4 of which were 'family' pets :doah:

Don't have any proof positive that it's the coyotes, but hear them all the time....saw one, from afar down the street once while playin on the golf cart (that the cat's happen to lounge on)...it saw us...we drove off....lost a cat that very night :censure: .

So folks...thank you for helping the cat's...and I'm thinking about getting motion activated lights to put in the woods at the back of our lot, in hopes it would startle away the predators ?

WrenchDad

I hear that. I don't know about local, but a guy I knew in Utah would hunt them as a hobby and get $25 per coyote iirc.

They're consummate scavangers. Everyone leaves their trash out prior to pick up, and they don't disturb it, which is weird.
Around here they try to avoid people, so they don't get into the trash and stuff very often. Even in the woods most guys can't get to close to them mostly chance sightings while archery hunting or something like that. I'm surprised that the one going after MR. Winkles came in that close during the day. But I know in some states they are pretty bold.

we have a rather large coyote population around here. i leave them be unless they come anywhere near the house. generally they feed on sick and dying
deer around here. i have no tolerance for feral cats. they kill birds, squirrel
chip monks, everything small and then they start multiplying.

Way to go Doug. We have a couple that decided our yard is their home. Can't get within ten foot of them but, they are harmless and have done well living on their own. Helps that my wife and I give them some real treats for their eating enjoyment.
Maybe one day we will get to pet them one day.:thumbsup:
Did you name them yet?

To bad you can get a permit to "remove" the coyote.
Or maybe I could adopt him too? :eek:ut:

I lost 3 cats in less than 6 months to coyotes a few years ago, haven't had that problem since. Rabbit populations cycle up and down. When rabbits are scarce, cats start coming up missing.A couple of mine were nailed 10 feet from the back door at night. I'd hear a cat scream once, and the next day one would be missing. My favorite cat now was a ferrel kitten, but I tamed him and now he follows me better than my dogs. Around here a coyote permit is whichever gun you can get to the quickest.:laugh:
I would have no issue shooting to scare them away, but I wouldn't shoot such a fine animal.

I admire a man who can love a cat............and for that matter, all nature:bowdown:
Thanks TC!

a 12 gauge shotgun works GREAT on coyotes..
If I were being attacked, I would not hesitate to shoot a coyote. In the meantimeI prefer to live and let live.

Thats really great Doug. I fed a bucnch of feral cats for about 20 years. I fiinally started trapping them and getting them fixed and release. Like yourself, most wouldn't get any where near me. There was this one cat after about 6 years that let me touch her. After a few more years I brought her home. She became the most loving cat. One day she came in the house and never wanted to go back outside again. She lived to 23 years old.

I would catch the kittens when they was about 4 or 5 weeks old. Clean them up and find homes for them. Took me years but it is finally over. I think at one time there was over 20 cats.
WOW! 23 years old. That's amazing. Good job Karen! :thumbsup:

YES INDEED!

I was wondering what I was going to read when I opened this up. Glad Mr wrinkles is a cat and he is ok.
Thanks, me too!

I am not a huge cat fan, I tolerate them and have helped more than my share that people dropped off at the edge of my property. I do commend you for trying to help but also not forcing yourself on the natural process. That Coyote (however bad the end result is ) is just trying to survive also and the cats are just easy pickings. It's unfortunate that their beauty (the coyote ) cant be appreciated without the accompanied destruction they can cause.

Good save on Mr. Winkles and good luck in the future.
I agree, and thank you very much.

I've only seen them alone, no groups. I have heard a group at night howling.

I got something for them coyotes starts with a 2 and ends with a 2 and I would be more then happy to help out, see I'm kind of a cat person. :thumbsup:
I'm not hating on the coyote, just don't want my pals to get eaten!

The best story I've read here. You're a special person to take care of them like you do. It's an inspiring story.
Thank you, very nice of you to say. I enjoy doing it.

I agree.

$25.00 ea. would add up if you were in an area with lots of coyote.

Thanks for helping out the cats !

Thought I lived close to civilization...but found so do the COYOTES..our lot backs up to woods that are probably 30 to 50 acres..with sub divisions, and a fast two lane road boxing these acres in.

Within that box, developers just cleared a 10 or 12 acre site for new house development... and since then, I hear the coyote packs almost daily...seems they've been pushed even closer...you let a siren go down the road...it lights them up...you'll hear a close pack...then you'll hear another pack farther away

Statistics of lifespan are not good for outdoor cats, but ending up with multiple cats (3 now...one of which adopted us) we've found out doors is the only way). We too have helped cats who have 'adopted' us, and we'd love to have a place to safely keep them ...as sadly and sickiningly we've literally lost 6 cats in the 5 or 6 years we've lived here....4 of which were 'family' pets :doah:

Don't have any proof positive that it's the coyotes, but hear them all the time....saw one, from afar down the street once while playin on the golf cart (that the cat's happen to lounge on)...it saw us...we drove off....lost a cat that very night :censure: .

So folks...thank you for helping the cat's...and I'm thinking about getting motion activated lights to put in the woods at the back of our lot, in hopes it would startle away the predators ?
Thanks for that.

Around here they try to avoid people, so they don't get into the trash and stuff very often. Even in the woods most guys can't get to close to them mostly chance sightings while archery hunting or something like that. I'm surprised that the one going after MR. Winkles came in that close during the day. But I know in some states they are pretty bold.
They usually hunt at night but if hungry, will hunt anytime.

we have a rather large coyote population around here. i leave them be unless they come anywhere near the house. generally they feed on sick and dying
deer around here. i have no tolerance for feral cats. they kill birds, squirrel
chip monks, everything small and then they start multiplying.
People abandoning pets is definitely a problem.