Clutch Rusted on Cannot Get off...sniff!

On my doodlebug, the clutch was whinning and screeching and actually shut the engine down. (its a new purchase from craigslist). I got my gear puller and off came part of the clutch, but the cogged sleeve is stuck on the shaft. I cleaned what came off and put it back on, hoping the cleaning would take care of the loud noise. What I now realize is that the cogs are separating during use and this causes the loud screech.

My question is, how do I take off the cogged sleeve that is stuck on the crankshaft? My gear puller cannot get into the limited space enough to get any purchase on the dealie-bob.

Should I cut it off? WD-40 it for a year or so?:doah:

Make sure there isn't a set screw in there. Spray some Aero Kroil or whatever you have on there and give the oil time to penetrate this should help to remove the rusted part. Then try to leverage the part out of there being careful not to damage the crankcase.

I'm leery about putting a 5hp on a doodlebug. I'm no wheely champ. I did manage to buy a harbor freight engine in Abq Craigslist..$70 buck ...couldn't pass it up.:laugh:

I will try this. I have a heat gun and its gets pretty hot. I'll hit it with the penetrating oil and see what can be done! Thanks for the tip.:2guns:

I finally got the clutch off. I used a file to score a line on the clutch down to the shaft. I also used a drill to put perpendicular holes into the clutch metal and this helped a lot by weakening the area I was filing. It was a very tough and time consuming job.