comet 30 conversion to 20 series?

Okay, I mounted a comet torque-A-verter on my Drivex packmule, keeping both jackshafts, and don't like it. I'm wondering if I can just replace the 30-series fixed plate with a 20-series, instead of waiting to sell the torq-a-verter and then buying a 20-series drive clutch.

Maybe the question is: Why don't you like it?

Does it not pull hills, not enough top end?

What is the issue? :shrug::shrug:

The setup in the pic looks good.....

The 20 series is the same design for this style setup .the 30 is symetrical belt 3/4" and the 20 is asymetrical belt . They do make two different size drivens 6" and 7". The 30 is a newer design.

joshua. c.

Okay, I mounted a comet torque-A-verter on my Drivex packmule, keeping both jackshafts, and don't like it. I'm wondering if I can just replace the 30-series fixed plate with a 20-series, instead of waiting to sell the torq-a-verter and then buying a 20-series drive clutch.

this question is a bit confusing, i think your saying you want to remove the jackshaft on the backing plate and mount the clutch differently is that correct?

george3

20 and 30 pices are not compatable. You have to buy the whole driver and whole driven. on 30 series the / outer is not the same angle as the 20 series V inner or outer.

george3

This is why they you cant piece them together. Because the angled part on the 30 is not the same angle as the 20. a 20 belt does not match the angle on the 30 outers. If you have a 30 outer and a 20 outer lay the two angled sides one on top of the other, Hold them both level the angles dont match.

oldfatguy

the 20 and the 30 will both work the same, I think that he may just need to adjust the spring in the driven to get it to work how he wants it. The thirty series has three settings.

Mixing driven pullies wont work, I tried this on a go kart which had a 20 series driver and a used a 30 series driven. This worked for about 5 minutes until the driven wouldn't retract(spring was thrashed and mangled).

george3

I think he was asking about changeing the backing from the flatty to a 20 and useing the 30 outer on front and back. still different angles. 20 outer is not the same is a 30 outer 20 belt angle is not the same as a 30 outer.

joshua. c.

if you want to eliminate the back plate on the 30 serise you can, just un bolt it and slide the driven clutch it off. but i dont now where you plan on mounting it. i dont think there's a long enough belt available to reach that other jack shaft and even if there is, it woold look funny

I think he was asking about changeing the backing from the flatty to a 20 and useing the 30 outer on front and back. still different angles. 20 outer is not the same is a 30 outer 20 belt angle is not the same as a 30 outer.
Thanks, that is what I was wondering. I see I wasn't too clear about my question. I am going to remove the TAV and put a 20 series drive clutch on. I wasn't sure if the angles on the 20 series was the same as the 30, which would allow me to just replace the fixed plate on the drive clutch.
As to why?..... I just don't like the TAV with the two jackshafts. I like the original type set-up better, with the driven clutch on the jackshaft. This is my other mule.

Mixing driven pullies wont work, I tried this on a go kart which had a 20 series driver and a used a 30 series driven. This worked for about 5 minutes until the driven wouldn't retract(spring was thrashed and mangled).
Nope, no mixing. 20 driven and drive is what I'm going to. I have a driven, but not the drive.