Custom Building Frames

I just got started myself. If I had the money for a JD Squared, that would have been what I got. I had to keep the cost down because I had to get some other things (welding items, etc).

I ended up getting a hydraulic bender from Northern. I am very happy with it (for the price), but it takes some extra time.

I pack the pipe full of sand before bending. It has helped tremendously to keep the bends from deforming and flattening.

I start by taping one end of the pipe with 3 or 4 pieces of duct tape. Then I fill the other end using a funnel. When its full to the top, I tap it on a block of wood to get the sand to settle in. That sand level will drop a little as it compacts, so I top it off and tap it again. I do that one or two more times until it does not seem like it is going to compact any more. Then I tape the top with 3 or 4 pieces of duct tape and then proceed with the bend.

Like I said, it takes a little longer, but saves you several hundred on a bender that in my case won't be used too awfully much.

One thing to keep in mind is that most of the hydraulic benders have dies for pipe (measured on ID) so if you plan to use tubing (measured on OD) you may not get as good of results. I've been using pipe, and have not tried tubing.

Let us know what you get and how it works out. :thumbsup:

I actually just bought a 12 ton hydraulic bender like you have in the picture for $99.99. I bought it from Princess Auto (the Canadian equivalent of Harbor Freight). I am happy with mine, and it is really nice and heavy. It works good so far, I am too planning a custom build for the summer. :thumbsup:

125ccCrazy

the hyd bender doesn't do tight curves without kinking the tube....I have one just like that...it's ok for slight curves but thats about it..... at least in my experience with using it..so now it just takes up floor space..

I have to agree with 125C , you will eventualy get frustrated with it as I did and ended up useing the hyd jack and dyes to make my own rotating bender that works a bit better and can do bends greater than 90 degrees.
When I get my build off bike finished I might have time to take some pictures and do a build thread on how I modifed / built mine.
Rob.

On the first note , the personal satisfaction of bending your own custom or replica frame is very rewarding and well worth the effort it requires.
Rob.

Yep I am with Rob and 125cc Crazy, you can't do tight bends. I have even noticed that if you bend tubing with a really thin wall it will kink really bad. I think mine will work for doing my Moto Skeeter drag bike, but not on a Frijole. Depends what kind of frame you want to build. :thumbsup: I might have to get some pics of your bender Rob so I can make one like it. :thumbsup: