custom header/muffler for DB's

I made a couple custom headers with mufflers. They fit nice under the seat, between the frame rails and above the rear fender on the DB-30 with the 6.5hp HF/clone/Honda GX engine. I started with 2 of them if I get a positive replys I will make some more of the same design with the straight tip. Replace that brick bolted to your engine. here's the deal

parts used:
AGK (affordablegokart.com) CNC'd exhaust flange ($14)
.065" wall 1" OD mandrel bent pipes cut and MIG welded together ($22)
Briggs 8hp muffler ($8)
reiforcing strut ($1)

The parts cost me $45. It takes me about 3 - 3 1/2 hours to cut, fit, weld, grind, sandblast and paint them. Each pipe is $85 + shipping.

The 1st pipe is a bit tighter to the frame and should be used with the 3/8" adapter plate. Without the plate it will clear but it's tight. It's the one with the curved tip off the muffler (pics attached to this post)

The 2nd pipe will fit with or without the 3/8" plate. I made it with extra clearance. It's the pipe with the straight tip (pics attached in the next post)

Let me know what you think
Thanks everyone!

this is a nice setup. sure, a header only costs $37 + shipping through AGK but there are other costs.

header ($37), RLV silencer ($37), RLV clamp ($8), this setup is comparable. i'm running the header/silencer setup and my exhaust is loud plus it didn't fit "out of the box" and i had to make an exhaust brace. i don't have to worry about noise where i ride, i'd consider this if i did. i've used one of those mufflers on a clone before and it worked well and wasn't too loud.

something like this will perform well and not annoy your neighbors as much. that's just something to think about when you see the $85 + shipping cost. it will be louder than the stock muffler.

I think it'd be nice if you could take the briggs muffler on, and off at will; like I can with my threaded nr racing pipes...Just a modest suggestion. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
So, I was thinking about buying one of these. But I just have to know if it's louder than the stock box exhaust. Because of my damn neighbors, I have to keep it quiet. :thefinger:
Or, if you can make a quieter one.
Thanks

the header is louder than the stock brick muffler. the stock muffler is very quiet.

it's about as loud as a riding lawn mower. It's a trade off more performance = more noise

I can make pipes with a removable muffler, or with a quieter muffler but are people willing to pay additional for extra work? I can reproduce these headers and it's still 3-4 hours of work to build each one

where do I buy "quieter" mufflers?

Chris,

Very nice. With 2 DB30's am I going to have to send you my whole paycheck???

BTW. the 2 DB30/clone conversion kits arrived and there are nice. The instructions are excellent too. I am going to start the assembly today on the first one.