custom keystone project

I picked up a keystone roller

[/url][/IMG]

and a little 3hp briggs off craigslist. The engine is copper color and pretty original. The plan is to clean up the frame and paint it krylon glitter blast citrus dream. I'm leaving the engine alone because it's so darn beautiful.

Got the frame cleaned up a bit and unnecessary bits cut off. Time to throw the engine in it to see how it looks!
It had no spark so I filled the points and set the gap, which was way off. First time I ever tried doing something like that. New plug, changed the oil and a fresh tank of gas and I got it to fire right up.:thumbsup:
[/url][/IMG]

I made up a seat pan and took it to a local upholstery shop.it only took them two days to make. It will look perfect with the white coke bottle grips.

[/url][/IMG]

They also repaired a seat for my dad that I was able to surprise him with

Sweet

Nice project, love the Keystones.
That Briggs looks really good in there.
What frame color are you going with?

Thanks
Frankster

Got the paint done! 6 cans of the glitter paint to cover the bike and 3 double cans of clear to make it smooth and shiny. It looks like a retro helmet! I used metal specks paint on my last project. Not even in the same universe! If anyone else wants to try this, make sure to let the clear fully dry. Mine sat for a month and still was a little soft.

[/IMG]

Greeeeeeen

Looks awesome, glad to see this build is still going strong.
Wow, it sat a month and was still tacky, amazing.
Where did you get those grips, I have to get some of those for my keystone too?

thanks
fankster

Got to work on it a little more last night.

I haven't been able to ride it because I couldn't get the throttle/governor figured out. I finally got fed up with it which resulted in a "governor delete" which was way easier than I thought it would be. 3 bolts to get the tins off and bend a flimsy tab down 1/8 inch. Jeez!

I also flipped the clutch around. The sprocket was on the outside and the chain hung too far out. The jackshaft looked like a meat grinder! I have never set up a clutch with the sprocket onboard before. I was able to shorten the jackshaft by about an inch and a half.

Got done at 11:30 last night. I wanted to fire her up to take a ride, but I'm a good neighbor and just went to bed:innocent:

Shake the cans like crazy. I actually shake them while spraying. It's not like normal painting. It's glitter mixed with an adhesive. Before you clear coat it feels like you glued glitter to the frame!
Tips are to base coat with a similar color and don't go nuts with prep. It doesn't have to be perfectly smooth. It's very forgiving. Just make sure the surface is clean and no paint flaking off.

Took my first ride!
Briggs started right up. Hit the gas, but took off very slowly. Not very torquey feeling. Breaks were good and the bike tracked well. No wobble.

So just got to figure out the clutch. It was one I found in the barn by my parents house from when I was a kid. I could stand over the bike, pin the throttle and hold the bike in place. That can't be good!

Got a new clutch on order as well as a new jackshaft sprocket to bring it from 4:1 to 5:1 with a top speed of 25mph. That should give it a little more bottom end.

It's been a while since my last post! Bought a new clutch and installed it. Took it to Symco Shakedown with out riding it much. Unloaded my rupp and keystone after I set up the camp site. After driving the Rupp around to scope out some of the other camper's bikes, I began to troubleshoot the keystone to make sure it was ready for the mini bike parade, which I have never participated in before. Same trouble with the new clutch. Bike would barely move! I had a couple guys come over to check it out that were also working on their bikes. No one could figure it out! I decided to just ride the Rupp, but my brother made me bring keystone too. His plan was for him to ride the Rupp there and we would switch before the parade and he would sit on the keystone and watch. Not what I wanted to do, but it sounded ok. Now, I didn't want to push it. The engine ran great, so I started it up, sat on the bike and kicked with my feet. It felt dumb, but not as bad as just pushing. So here I am, kick pushing this little bike around, when the clutch catches and I take off! Pulled my feet up and pinned the throttle! Shit, it's working! I drove the rest of the way to the parade and it worked perfectly. We both got to drive bikes in the parade. I was elated! All the hard work paid off, and with a little luck, I was able to make a really cool memory with my brother.

Last edited:
So, last post was about an adventure last summer. Let's get up to speed with the changes over winter. The engine ran perfectly...so I tore it down to get more horses out. :grind:

I just started an apprenticeship as a tool maker, so I have access to a bridgeport to shave the head. That's where I started.
Here is the head taken off

I indicated the head flat with a spi test indicator mounted in an indicol and took .030 off the head with a carbide cutter. This is the before

You can see the finished head in the pile with all the other goodies.

The flywheel is an aluminum model from a vertical shaft 3hp mower. I powder blasted it at work and it looked great! I installed that with a .060 advance key

Replaced the points ignition with a magnetron solid state ignition and added an E3 diamond fire plug.

I put it all together and it fired right up! I got to do a burn out in the garage. It would have never done that before!

I have the original copper air cleaner, but I wanted something unique. I had this kicking around the shop.

The hole was way too big and would have hit the block so I made an adaptor. I milled a hole in a 1.5 inch diameter piece of aluminum bar stock and drilled and tapped two holes to mount the cross bar.

The hole fits over the rubber boot on the updraft carb and offsets the new air cleaner away from the block. The crossbar lets me bolt the adaptor to the carb.

I didn't get to bolt it on yet, but I did set it on and it looks awesome! I will make a strap that goes from a head bolt to the top of the air cleaner to act as a support.