Custom Manco Go Kart Build

Newbie, wanted to document my custom go kart build. I am starting with a Manco Terminator Two-seater. I plan to powdercoat the frame flat black and the rims and flywheel cover will be candy red. I am using a 6.5 Harbor Freight Greyhound engine. The engine will be slightly modified with Uni Intake, Mikuni carb, 18lb. valve springs, billet connecting rod, flat top piston, billet flywheel, advanced timing, AGK two-stage straight header, VHT Wrinkle paint on block, Walbro fuel pump, custom fuel tank, and indexed spark plug. Not sure about the combination, just going to try it out and go from there. I am also installing Mob Grip grip-tape on the floor panel, all new 6" CST knobbys, and a Gucci Vinyl seat. May add some red LED undercarraige lighting. Will try to keep updating at every stage. Picking up the frame and wheels from the powdercoater on Sat. Hope you like! If anyone has any suggestions on my engine mods, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

These were the pics from the Craigslist ad where I bought it. Seller had it listed for $250. I was the first to respond and offered $100. I got it for $100.00 and picked it up that afternoon. Came with brand new, never run 6.5 Greyhound. Was missing the drive wheel and sprocket. Strong frame, no cracks, bends, or broken welds. Some slight surface rust.

Last edited:
You would be doing yourself a great disservice by not at least planning for a live axle setup with good brakes. Nothing like a live axle to maximize the power and get it to the ground, you will spin a single wheel and lose traction on hard lefts turns. That frame was a yard kart and never intended for that kind of power but it will still be fun. Be careful, make sure the brakes are up to the task.:thumbsup:

Started ordering parts right away. Most of the stuff I ordered from MFG Supply, Gokartparts.com, and AGK. First orders didn't come in for two weeks. In the meantime I set up a little makeshift kart rack out of an old drafting table in my little workshop, which is essentially a shack. Below the Manco is my daughter's Thunderkart with a flat. I found it for $20 from a freind, cleaned it up, painted candy pink, new fabrick upholstery, Grip Tape on floor panel, new tires, new engine w/ governor removed, Hilliard Extreme Duty Clutch, and a 48t sprocket. It will do at least 45mph easy.

First order from MFG arrives,

4" Brake Drum, set of Clutch engagement springs, 5/8 bushing stock, and an extra valve stem.

10' #41 chain

48t 41 chain steel sprocket

4 + 1 spare 145x70-6 CST Knobby tires

Ordered the wrong wheel, should have been a one piece with sprocket hub.

Prepping parts for powder coat.

Had the clutch already.

and a couple extra wheel bearings.

Bought a decent torque wrench,

and some VHT Wrinkle Plus and Primer for then engine block from O'Reilly's.

From Lowe's,

Rust-Oleum Auto Primer,

and Flat Black for all of the parts not getting powder.

Couldn't resist, it was just so cute.

Grade 8 bolts, lock washers, and nuts for engine mount.

Fabric4home.com order.

I ordered 1 yard of Gucci Vinyl No. 16 Mermaid print for the pink Thunderkart,

and Gucci Vinyl No. 17 Black on Black for the Manco.

AGK order arrived, still waiting on backorder vent tube breather kit and indexing washers.

kids and their grabby hands.

Uni Dual layer High Flo air filter for Mikuni carb.

AGK two-stage straight header.

pulse adapter and 22mm Mikuni carburetor.

18lb valve springs.

1/4" fuel filters

Walbro fuel pump

Honda intake and exhaust gaskets

pulse fittings, hose clamps, intake and exhaust bolts.

10' of 1/4" red fuel line

header wrap

MFG Supply order,

Extra chain for my Doodle Bug

clutch for Doodle Bug engine swap,

All new wheel bearings, four valve stems, and clutch engagement springs; 1200rpm, 1800rpm, and 2000rpm.

48t steel sprocket, replacement for 54t on Thunderkart.

These two packages came in yesterday.

From Ebay California, the nicest chinese steering wheel I could find to fit my budget.

and from someswhere in China,

That's all I got for now, waiting on a couple more things and I still have to order a billet connecting rod, flat top piston, billet flywheel, advance timing key, and 14mm head. Frame is getting powder and should be ready Saturday.

Still haven't quite figured out the upholstery. Got a few estimates, but they were like $300. Don't really want to spend that kind of money on go kart seats but I do want them to look nice and professional. That seems a little high for sewing less than two yards of material that I am supplying. May have to bust out the old singer and give it a shot?