cylinder shaped tanks !!

I do not see any problems making tanks if there is a "standard" size. The only issue would be to find a good looking inexpensive filler neck and cap.
The tank on the left is a stock Harley oil tank. The one on the right was made from a piece of tubing and powder coated with a wrinkle finish.

Hi All:

I would like to offer this suggestion for those looking for a round tank..How about a garden tiller tank they are either round or ovaled and probably cheaper.

Del Fuegos

i dont know why everyone thinks they are hard to find? You just have to look hard and know where to look! here are some of the round tanks i have found with a little bit of looking.

Last edited:
260287615259 that one is on ebay and might be a little big but it is cheap, 110289976915 thats another one thats closer to what you need a little bit more. heres another 260287148040 told you they werent hard to find.

You know, a big juice can would work, and you can solder the steel if you clean it off well first!
I am thinking I could roll a very nice tank out of brass sheet, solder on the ends and fittings..
Gee, could there be a market? the brass ones would look SOOO cool!!!!!

this was a good idea to put this up on the forum everybody has good idea`s i am in the process of making one . i went with YELLOWHAND`S idea of exhaust pipe and belive it or not it has been really easy i just have to go get some fittings to make a filler neck that seems to be the hardest thing i`ll post pic`s when it is done thanks guy`s:thumbsup:

That tank is a great buy, but I see it being just too big for a mini bike. The maximum tank for a mini bike would be about 3 pints . and not over 8 inch long if used for a behind the seat mounting. like the Flexo Big Bear Scrambler used. That tank on a kart or small trike where you have much more room to place it .
Still looking for a Manufacture not a ebay auction where adrenaline and bad bidding push things way out of reach.
Steve :scooter:

Jim...why not take two fire extinguishers with rounded bottoms and cut the bottom 5 inches or so off of each one. Butt them end to end and have them TIG welded together. Smooth the welded seam down either by hand or in a lathe and you should have a pretty good looking tank. Add a filler neck and a petcock plug and you're in business. A note of warning to EVERYONE reading this....EMPTY THE FIRE EXTINGUISHER FIRST!!!!....Ogy.

Jim...why not take two fire extinguishers with rounded bottoms and cut the bottom 5 inches or so off of each one. Butt them end to end and have them TIG welded together. Smooth the welded seam down either by hand or in a lathe and you should have a pretty good looking tank. Add a filler neck and a petcock plug and you're in business. A note of warning to EVERYONE reading this....EMPTY THE FIRE EXTINGUISHER FIRST!!!!....Ogy.
The filler neck is whats been holding us back, we have a friend that is the Extinguisher biz and can get all sizes but the neck and cap can be a pain.:doah:

Gote...What are you doing to me son. You used to be my hero but now I don't know what to think. Every custom motorcycle gas tank has a filler neck and cap assembly that is either welded or brazed on. Google "motorcycle parts" and you'll get 11,000,000 hits, then take your pick. Tell me it was just a short-term memory loss so the universe will make sense again.....Ogy.

The filler neck is whats been holding us back, we have a friend that is the Extinguisher biz and can get all sizes but the neck and cap can be a pain.:doah:
Hi GTO : I found a suppler on ebay that sells the fuel inlet weld on bungs with a cap for Buy it now for $23.99
They have vented and non vented in steel and aluminum the name is coyote-gear.com They are nice looking caps too.
I guess it's time to start practicing welding :weld: with the tig on aluminum I hope to find some 4 inch electrical tubing to use.
Steve :scooter: :weld: :hack: :weld: