DB Newbie Here!

Happy to have stumbled across the OldMiniBikes Forum, on a hunch I purchased my 1st DB on Craigslist and am blown away by all the things/ways I can go with my DB. It was a great find, everything seems to be in great working order. As you can see in the pictures, and from what I've read numerous times...the first thing on the list is swapping out the "anything but fast" stock Baja 97cc engine out of it. I already have the Predator 212cc on the way (checking the front porch daily) and ready to get er' in! :thumbsup:

Any help/direction/thoughts/ideas are encouraged. I'm excited where this new DB journey will take me!
DB 2.jpg DB.jpg

Welcome! With the predator swap and the stock gears, the bike will become a wheelie machine. I highly recommend the sprocket adapter from OldMiniBikes, it will cure the wheelie situation and give you more top speed!

2SlickNick

Welcome!
I recommend getting use to it, with just the 212cc. Huge noticeable difference. Then start mods and upgrades per your need with the DB.
I have 3 and wish I didn't sell the 4th. Enjoy your new found hobby and/or addiction. This is the place for minis.

There are a million ways to go with a DB. I'm kinda old school. This has a Tecumseh 5 horse with hydro brakes. You can lower the fenders and move the kickstand to the proper side and have one heck of a bike with just a standard clutch and the sprocket that's on there. It's all in what you want.

Doc

Gentlemen, I'm back on OldMiniBikes after a few days of anxiously awaiting the "goods". My new HF Predator 212cc Hemi came in along with the hotrodminibikes.com PMR Stage 1 engine mount adapter kit (Max Torque 12t clutch, new #35 chain, and chain gaurd). Being new to mini bikes and DB's, it was a little more time consuming getting the new Predator "running ready". Got the new holes drilled, engine mounted, clutch aligned w/ rear sprocket, chain on, throttle hooked up, etc...after a few pulls, she was roaring! Unfortunately it was dark out, but still took her around the block...WHOA! Just a few concerns, these questions may be redundant and simple, but:

1) Idles a little rough.
2) When choke is on/open, runs fine...but turning off the choke shuts er' down. (brand new motor, so carb is clean...right)
3) Clutch/Chain side, seems to be some sort of rattling/ringing noises...chain guard it NOT on, so I'm stumped as to what/where these noises are originating from, or how to fix.

Any and all advice is extremely helpful!

Thanks all!

Gentlemen, I'm back on OldMiniBikes after a few days of anxiously awaiting the "goods". My new HF Predator 212cc Hemi came in along with the hotrodminibikes.com PMR Stage 1 engine mount adapter kit (Max Torque 12t clutch, new #35 chain, and chain gaurd). Being new to mini bikes and DB's, it was a little more time consuming getting the new Predator "running ready". Got the new holes drilled, engine mounted, clutch aligned w/ rear sprocket, chain on, throttle hooked up, etc...after a few pulls, she was roaring! Unfortunately it was dark out, but still took her around the block...WHOA! Just a few concerns, these questions may be redundant and simple, but:

1) Idles a little rough.
2) When choke is on/open, runs fine...but turning off the choke shuts er' down. (brand new motor, so carb is clean...right)
3) Clutch/Chain side, seems to be some sort of rattling/ringing noises...chain guard it NOT on, so I'm stumped as to what/where these noises are originating from, or how to fix.

Thanks all!
How much oil did you put in it ? Did you turn the fuel valve on ? you said it was dark...just asking.

How much oil did you put in it ? Did you turn the fuel valve on ? you said it was dark...just asking.
OND, we filled the oil to the "fill line" as directed. Yes, fuel valve was on. Haha, it was dark outside as I rode it...plenty bright in the garage while working on it.

RE: DB30 build shaking

1) Idles a little rough.

Thanks all!
I've done the same swap, and I thought I'd give my opinion!
Stock (Predator only, lined up with sprocket, throttle hooked up, no performance mods) for me, Idle was VERY unstable. the engine just doesn't idle very well :shrug: the thing rattles like a bat out of hell especially when you take your hands off the bars (In my case, to open the mailbox :001_tt2: )
The choke will shut off the engine because the engine doesn't have air, therefor no air=no run.
Rattling/ringing noises: I had the same thing, Its the clutch/chain. Good lubrication and you're set!
I also will tell you that my PMR stage 1 kit (Filter, Header, Emulsion tube, Jet, and crankcase breather) got rid of the shaky idle for me, with the new upgrades it doesn't shake practically at all! :thumbsup:
Enjoy the bike!

Micky7c

I've done the same swap, and I thought I'd give my opinion!
Stock (Predator only, lined up with sprocket, throttle hooked up, no performance mods) for me, Idle was VERY unstable. the engine just doesn't idle very well :shrug: the thing rattles like a bat out of hell especially when you take your hands off the bars (In my case, to open the mailbox :001_tt2: )
The choke will shut off the engine because the engine doesn't have air, therefor no air=no run.
Rattling/ringing noises: I had the same thing, Its the clutch/chain. Good lubrication and you're set!
I also will tell you that my PMR stage 1 kit (Filter, Header, Emulsion tube, Jet, and crankcase breather) got rid of the shaky idle for me, with the new upgrades it doesn't shake practically at all! :thumbsup:
Enjoy the bike!

Micky7c
Thanks for the advice Micky! Noted, I'll be working on it tonight.