db30 tav2 and honda gx 120

Well after posting all sort of questions about making mods for a larger engine and tav2 I finally got my db30 done. I installed a Honda gx 120 and tav2 on it. Originally I was going to put a 6 robin in it (had it in for a while) but came across a good deal on a gx 120 and decided to put that in instead. The bike goes plenty fast and has enough torque to put me on the ground (220 lbs). I ended up raising the engine with 1" square tubing and fabing a new engine plate. After I had the engine in I noticed that there was not much peg left so I extended the foot pegs 2" and raised them up 1" on the frame. For those who are wondering the gx 120 and the 6 robin matched right up with no problems.

Also in case you are wondering its a lot easier to put a tav2 on a baja mini than a db30, the baja min needs no fab except cutting the tav2 off on the bottom. Same engine mount work fine and I was even able to use the same chain.

Thanks for all the info and pictures, sure make things a lot easier with this site. I am going to attempt to put up some pics. These little mini bike are great and I can not wait until all the snow is gone.

Last edited:

tomsprops

That's an interesting way of doing it ! I wonder if a 6.5 clone would still fit with that engine mount ? Or if the tank would hit ?
That probally a great engine choice for alot of people . The TAV2 with a 6.5 is a scary combo for most ! You can't just let anyone ride them .

The 6.0 Hp Robin fit with just enough clearance to get the gas cap off so I image a 6.5 clone would fit as well but I am not sure. The bike is for my son so the 4 hp is going to be plenty. I have a 6.5 on the mini which is for dad.

alaskayukondave,
It looks like your taking a break from all that construction work in the background.If so you found a fun way of doing it.:smile:

Tim

Great job Dave! Add your job to the 101 ways to install a larger engine on a DB-30:thumbsup: The TAV will give you the low end you were looking for.....no problem with wheelies w/the the GX120

The GX200/HF clone (#96549) would fit but the new HF engines (#66015) would not. The tank would hit

Motra

That's an interesting way of doing it ! I wonder if a 6.5 clone would still fit with that engine mount ? Or if the tank would hit ?
That probally a great engine choice for alot of people . The TAV2 with a 6.5 is a scary combo for most ! You can't just let anyone ride them .
The GX120 is a shorter engine than the 160 and the 200, it'd be pretty tight with one of the larger engines.

You're right about the 6.5/TAV combo. If somebody tries to ride it without being prewarned about the power, they usually flip it right over.