disk clutch vs shoe?

hey fella's

time for a clutch,I have 2 in mind one a shoe and one a disk..this is not for racing just fun..

on a mild clone..

noram ultimate ge shoe=$105.00

or mdc horstman 400 disk=$115.00

any advice on which would be a better performer,and would last longer,I know about the shoe clutch but nottin bout disks( are the disks adjustable like the cheetah)

thanx a bunch

Last edited:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
The disc clutch is strictly for racing. Not for just fun riding around.

You will be happier with the drum clutch. But not the Noram clutch. It's still a race clutch that has stall and grabs to hard when it engages.

The regular Max Torque. Or the better Max Torque TT clutch works great.

too much grab

minidragbike is right about that noram clutch,i have one on mine and it grabs hard ,i don't like it ,the max torque is the way to go ,i had one on my other mini and it worked real good ,the only thing i didn't like about it ,there was no ajustment ,it would engage to soon,is the max torque 2 ajustable?

I have Noram GE shoe clutch and Horstman GL disk clutch I run with pretty much stock clone and Animal. I like the Noram GE shoe clutch, especially the price approx $60. :thumbsup:

Noram GE shoe clutch too much grab problem may be how it is set-up. When set-up for smooth engagement, the Norman GE shoe clutch is very smooth. If set-up wrong it will definitely grab hard (not good), but is an easy fix. Check out these instructions, you want setting 5. Go Kart Clutch GE Shoe Settings: NORAM Go Kart Clutches

Horstman GL disk clutch is sweet, but expensive, and not really needed. I like the Norman GE Shoe clutch just as well for 1/3 the cost.

noram clutch

what springs are you using chazdaddy,thanks for the chart,my motor is built,i tried moving that and still seemed to hard,i had the blue springs on there first then went to the red springs (less stall) still to hard,the max torque was much smoother engagement .

Last edited:
hello mini fanatic, red springs on mine like it came with light shoes.

Did you notice on the chart the orientation of the shoe depends on if clutch gear mounted inboard or outboard? If you didn't account for this, might still have it setup wrong. :shrug:

Also, light shoes have smoother engagement IMO.

noram clutch

Ok i took it apart and looked at the shoes,looks like the shoes were worn pretty good, so i got a new set and replaced the springs also and clocked it forward for the inboard set up(soft engagement) as soon as the streets dry out from the rain i will let you know what happens,thanks for your help .

noram clutch

Well i tested the mini out and i am happy to say it's working perfect,looks like those worn shoes and springs were the problem,the engagement was nice and not hard at all in the forward notch,thanks again for your help chazdaddy,i take back what i said about noram clutchs,i really like it now:thumbsup:..ya know i got that clutch used and never felt one that was working right.